• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Is it possible to decrease brush flow or opacity with higher tilt?

New Here ,
Aug 29, 2020 Aug 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all, 

I'm brand new to Photoshop, and looking for some brush advice. 

I'm trying to create a brush that mimics a sharpened charcoal pencil, and I'd like it to leave lighter lines when the stylus is tilted closer to horizontal. (In real media I guess this would be due to the larger surface area.)

There doesn't seem to be any curve setting, just stliders, right? Is it possible to reverse the tilt control slider somehow? Or is it always low-to-high?

I've been digging around and can't find anything like this.
If not possible via Photoshop, is there any alternative? (plugin? etc)

Thanks!

Update: tried Scatter as a workaround, but for some odd reason, the Pen Tilt control DECREASES scattering as you INCREASE tilt 😞 

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Aug 29, 2020 Aug 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi. Although I don't actually draw with natural media, I've found that I've often gotten the PS effects I want by using some really well-made brushes made by others. I'm not sure these do exactly what you want - but they're a great set of really inexpensive, really powerful brushes, and they all have previews. I wish i could tell you we could change the tilt reaction or create a pressure curve based on angle - and it's possible people who know more about how natural media works will chime in with a better solution - but I recommend this site for a possible solution: https://www.grutbrushes.com/?s=charcoal&post_type=product

Adobe Community Expert / Adobe Certified Instructor

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 30, 2020 Aug 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You have not said wat table and pen you are using?  If you are using a Wacom tablet, then you'd need the Art Pen to have tilt sensitivity.  Does that tally with what you are using?

https://buywacom.co.nz/products/accessories/pens/intuos4-5-cintiq-2nd-gen-art-pen.html

Could you achieve what you are looking for with pen pressure?  Or you might get there by hitting the number keys to control opacity.

If you are using Windows, then Lazy Nezumio Pro gives you better control than the standard Photoshop brush engine.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It works here on a Wacom Intuos Pro without an art pen. Under Brush Settings > Transfer just set Opacity control to Pen Tilt and ignore any warning triangle. A vertical brush gives high opacity and a tilted brush lower.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hey guys, thanks for the input!
Travis, as I'd mentioned, tilt works. (It's just the mapping that I was having issues with.) 

I was able to get a lot better results with the Transfer setting and tilt.

But I'll check out some brushes others created, hopefully they do a better job.

LazyNezumi looks pretty handy too for controlling the curves 🙂 Though I do wish photoshop had this built in, since it would be great to change it per-brush / per-parameter.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines