Is it possible to draw on shape lines using a brush?

New Here ,
Feb 14, 2021 Feb 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know you can drop a line on your shapes in the shapes tab. While this is okay, the lines are inorganic and the workflow becomes a nightmare of small shapes on multiple layers using the eraser to shape them to look somewhat acceptable.

So I ask, is there any way to enable a brush to snap/magnetize to a selected shape the same you can do with guides?

Been trying to google this but nothing of value shows up.

Really hoping it's available in standard or in a plugin.

TOPICS
How to

Views

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think tha best you can do is to create a brush that varies the size, angle, and other aspects, then stroke the path.

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you draw the shapes in Path mode and not Shape mode (options bar), then you can Stroke the Path with the Brush tool using the Paths panel — either the panel menu or the button at the bottom. It will use the current Brush settings and foreground color, so set those before applying the Stroke. The paint will go on the current layer, so pay attention to that as well.

If you edit the path, the paint on the layer will not change, but you can erase it and stroke the path again. Watch your layers.

If you have Illustrator, though, it does what you are asking. You can apply a Brush to any path, then redefine the Brush afterwards, change the color, width, edit the path itself, etc., etc., etc.

~ Jane

~ Jane

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What I do is make a new layer and draw on that. Then you can merge the layers later. Paths, even with the freeform pen tool, never look the same as drawing with the human hand. If you need your drawing to be vectorized for some reason, you can make paths from it afterward and tweak them.

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines