• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Is it possible to release an approved banknote image from Adobe's prohibition?

Community Beginner ,
Feb 03, 2021 Feb 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've obtained permission from the Bank of Canada to use a stock image of a banknote in a publication. How then do I "release" this image from Adobe's prohibition so I can tweak it in Photoshop? We're talking just minor colour correction and sharpening.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a Adobe Photoshop User Comunity forum. You need to contact Adobe. 

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I seem to recall that one could avoid the problem with certain file format/s. 

What format is the image at current when Photoshop gives you the anti-counterfeiting spiel? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's just a .jpg from the stock photo service. If you know of other file formats that would avoid this, I would appreciate that info. It's just for use in a pdf, but at a large size, so only medium resolution is required.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 04, 2021 Feb 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It’s been a long time since I needed this and I am not sure anymore but try to open the image with Preview (if you are on Macintosh, don’t know the Windows default viewer) and safe save the image as tif and psd, one of them might open in Photoshop. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 04, 2021 Feb 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks, I'll try that. 👍

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

AFAIK it's hard coded so you either trick it to bypass or use other software.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, I know. It's a ridiculous situation. The Bank recognizes the desire to use such images, and so long as the bills appear cropped or overlapped, or used in some "fantasy concept," where the bill can not be seen in its entirety, and can not be reproduced in a single, let alone doublesided-way, it is deemed acceptable. Except by Adobe. Ludicrous! 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I believe that it's both Adobe and the FBI, Adobe are just being "good citizens".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, well, not sure what right either the FBI or Adobe has to define for the Bank of Canada usage of images of it’s currency, but now I'm just picking nits ’cause I'm generally po'd and need to rant. BTW—I, too, am a good Canadian citizen, thus my check-in with the Bank.

I know I’m not the first, or only one to quibble about this—since I have the Bank’s permission, I'll just find a work-around. 

Thanks to all for bearing with me! 😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Counterfeit deterrence is not Adobe's prohibition or the FBI , it is international and an agreement of central banks around the world:

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/cds.html

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yep, read that. Followed link https://rulesforuse.org/ and followed through to the specific info for Canadian currency. Eventually ended with a pdf entitled Bank of Canada Policy on the Reproduction of Bank Note Images, part of which states,

"Although the Bank is the copyright owner of the images used on Canadian bank notes, it recognizes that currency is an important symbol of value in Canada. Accordingly, people may wish to reproduce images for appropriate
reasons. The Bank will ordinarily consent to such reproductions if

i. there is no risk that the reproduced image could be mistaken for a genuine note or misused by counterfeiters; and

ii. the proposed use does not tarnish the dignity and importance of currency to Canadians.

Makes perfect sense to me. Now, I'm putting this subject to be so I can actually get some real work done. 😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines