• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Is it possible to see the stars from LR or Bridge in Photoshop CC 2021 dialog box?

Participant ,
Mar 25, 2021 Mar 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As I said in the title.  Is it possible to see the stars from LR or Bridge in the Photoshop CC 2021 dialog box?  That is I have starred  some shots in Bridge, the rating I gave appears under the large icons I use, it also appears in Lightroom but when I am opening shots in Photoshop I cannot see which shots have been rated.

Thanks.

[Edited by moderator for clarity.]

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Mar 25, 2021 Mar 25, 2021

Photoshop does NOT have ratings for images. Bridge and Lightroom have ratings since these applications help with sorting, filing, etc. So you use those applications to rate, and when you need to edit a 3 star Photo to make it a 5 star you open it in Photoshop, do you your updates, save it... and re-rate it if you wish. Photoshop is just for the editing part.

hope that helps.

mark

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop does NOT have ratings for images. Bridge and Lightroom have ratings since these applications help with sorting, filing, etc. So you use those applications to rate, and when you need to edit a 3 star Photo to make it a 5 star you open it in Photoshop, do you your updates, save it... and re-rate it if you wish. Photoshop is just for the editing part.

hope that helps.

mark

Consulting | Design | Motion | Training>headTrix, Inc. | Adobe Certified Training & Consulting<br />Consulting | Design | Development | Training

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The confirmation that PS is not capable does help thanks, keeping Bridge/Lightroom open and open files from there works OK but is another open app.

Thanks

Chris

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

well yes, one app for sorting and easy edits (lightroom) and then when you want to do my elaborate changes you open in Photoshop, make your edits, and boom, you are back in lightroom. 

Consulting | Design | Motion | Training>headTrix, Inc. | Adobe Certified Training & Consulting<br />Consulting | Design | Development | Training

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@mal25 wrote:

Is it possible to see the stars given in LR or Bride in the Photoshop

Yes. In Photoshop, choose File > File Info to see metadata that Bridge, Lightroom, or other applications have saved in that document (or in its XMP sidecar file, if it was a camera raw file). In the figure below, the 3-star rating was applied in Bridge, and it’s visible after opening the image in Photoshop. If you change any of this metadata in Photoshop and save the document, you’ll see the change in Bridge.

Photoshop-metadata-star-ratings.jpg

However, there is no way to see the rating information in Photoshop when that dialog box is not open.

That same File > File Info dialog box is available in other Adobe applications such as Illustrator, InDesign, and also Bridge.

Since you mentioned Lightroom, if you’re using Lightroom Classic, it doesn’t save the rating to the file until you choose Metadata > Save Metadata To File (Library module) or Photo > Save Metadata To File (Develop module). And Lightroom Classic won’t pick up metadata changes made in other applications unless you choose Read Metadata from File from the same menus. Bridge works differently; it always writes out metadata changes as soon as you change them, and immediately notices external changes as soon as another application updates the file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Fantastic answer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, wow- you Impressed two ACP's! I've been using Photoshop since the early 90's - I had no clue!

Wicked Smart! Well played! ha! I learned something new today. Thanks

cheers,

mark

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Mar 26, 2021 Mar 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks,

It's good to know that bridge works without saving metadata, I tend to use Bridge over lightroom and do all my edits in PS or ACR.

Chris

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I should have mentioned that if you want Lightroom Classic to automatically write metadata whenever it changes, open Catalog Settings, click the Metadata tab, and select Automatically Write Changes to XMP. However, that can slow down the program since it will constantly be checking for changes everywhere in the catalog.

Bridge isn’t as slow with this because it is looking for changes in only one folder (usually).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I presume that you are referring to the File/Open dialog?

Scripting could offer some possibilities beyond the basic open dialog. That is the whole reason for Bridge, which started life as an integrated file browser inside Photoshop before being split off as a separate program.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's a good clarification. My answer only works after a file is already open, but since the original post mentioned “opening shots in Photoshop” there is no way to see the rating there in the Open dialog box.

So @mal25, if you want to see ratings and open in Photoshop, then instead of starting from Photoshop, start from Bridge, select the image with the rating you want, then open it in Photoshop from there (double-click it in Bridge; or when the image is selected in Bridge press Enter/Return, or choose File > Open or File > Open With…

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines