• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Is there a new Photoshop shortcut key that locks Shift on? Please help!

Community Beginner ,
Oct 23, 2019 Oct 23, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am really struggling with a weird new shortcut thing that keeps happening to me while using Photoshop CC. I think I am pressing some kind of shortcut combination, while in PS, that results in an apparent 'Shift key lock'. It makes PS unusable but also affects the rest of my computer – i.e. Finder and other programmes. It is as if the Shift key is being held down and the only way to remedy it is a full computer restart, which I am now having to do many times each day. I still can't figure out what I am accidentally pressing to cause this!? I have been using PS for many, many years and this issue has only recently occurred.

It's not a keyboard issue as I've tried multiple keyboards. I use an Apple Macbook Pro (Retina, Mid 2012) with Mojave 10.14.6 and am running the latest version of Adobe Photoshop CC.

Has anyone else experienced this issue? I can't seem to find any info anywhere...? 

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Probably due to the change adobe made to make Maintain Aspect Ratio on by default for some transform operations in photoshop cc 2019. Not all tools are like this, for example, shapes are not, so it throws users for a loop.

Look here under Transform proportionally by default

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/whats-new.html

The good news is you can return to the old pre cc 2019 behavior by going to Photoshop CC>Preferences>General and check Use Legacy Free Transform.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you but I don't think it is related to this. I am aware of the new proportional transform, have adapted and that works perfectly fine. The only way I can describe it is it's as if I am hitting some combination of keys that suddenly locks shift on, no matter what tool I'm using nor what programme I go to.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Negative. I also use an external keyboard and have tried 2 different ones – same issue occurs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a mid-2012 MBP and have used Photoshop many years. I've never seen this happen.

Which is why I suggest you look at resetting your Pram and SMB just to clear this question up.

This article explains it, so have a look and give this a try first.

https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/reset-macs-smc-pram/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 24, 2019 Oct 24, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello

Could you describe the behaviour you get in other programs, when you type, it is in upper case, when you select two non contiguous files in the finder,  does it select several?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 07, 2019 Nov 07, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, thanks for the response.
OK, when I type in any programme it is NOT in uppercase.
In Finder, when I select two non contiguous files is does select every file in between.
It also seems to make every new browser tab open in a whole new window in Chrome. Or, for Chrome browser Tabs that were already open, it selects/highlights all of these if I try to swap between.
I am now starting to doubt that this is a Photoshop issue and perhaps more likely an Apple issue? I think I just initially assumed PS because that is the software I most often use.
Any help hugely appreciated.
Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Oct 24, 2019 Oct 24, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I get a similar thing with alt. I have r & t as my increase/decrease brush size and often pressing t will start to open the filters menu, even if I wait for a few miniutes to let the alt modifier wear off. Only solution is to minimise/maximise PS.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 16, 2021 May 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi I'm experiencing a similar issue. I'm using wacom to draw on photoshop, somehow I pressed some keys by accident. Now whenever I click the undo button on my pen, it's as if I'm holding down shift key when I'm using brush/eraer. If I then press any key on the keyboard, things become normal again. But that means I can no longer use the undo button on my pen. Is this similar to your problem? Have you solved it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 17, 2021 May 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

hi!

Mac or Pc? latest Ps version?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines