• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Is there a setting to have a new layer created automatically when starting a new file

Community Beginner ,
Apr 17, 2021 Apr 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I draw on this heavily but sometimes forget I forget to make a new layer so I end up drawing on the background layer instead.  I am wondering if there is a way for me to make each new file I start to begin with a new layer above the background layer?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Record an action to create a new layer. 

Use File/Script/Scripts Events Manager to automatically play this action when triggered by specific events, such as: New Document, Open Document etc.

You can use the toggle dialog on/off in the action to allow the use of the cancel button just in case you don't need this for a given file. You could also build in other steps into the action as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

A new document would have an empty background unless you opened a psdt and in that case the new document would most likely have layers above the background layer.  If you open a file and its a layered document you most likely do not want to add an additional layer every time you open the file. A conditional action step can test to see if a document is layer or not. However if an action adds a layer the action step will fail with an error if the document type does not support layers.   Using a photoshop script would be a better choice to implement an open document event handler. 

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You could write  a Photoshop script to see if the document you opened only has a background layer and if that is the case add an layer above the background layer otherwise target the layer above the background layer. Then use the script Event Manager to add this script as a open document event handler. Then any time you open an existing file a layer will be added above the background if need be. The layer above the background layer will be the current Photoshop target after you open any file. If the document can have layers.  The script could be written to tell you the document  does not support layers or just ignore the fact that it could not add a layer.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines