• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Is there a simple way to open only a duplicate file?

Community Beginner ,
Jul 14, 2020 Jul 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was wondering if there was an easy way to open a file it be a duplicate. I know that I can open the original file and then duplicate it from there. That's what I normally do. However this current file is pretty large and my laptop REALLY does not like having two large files open in PS simultaneously. If possible I would love to just be able to open one file and it be a duplicate of the original. I feel like once upon a time you could do something like that with "Open as" but I can't remember if that was PS or a different program.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You do not have to do anything using open as.  All you need to do is open the duplicated file and not the original. If the original is open close it and open the duplicate. Also if you save PSD file with the extension PSDT.  Photoshop will treat it as template.  When you open a PSDT file Photoshop will open a new document with the contents of the PSDT file in the new document.  However the document is new it has no file on disk till you save one in some folder. You have opened a none existing duplicate.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After opening the file, execute the script.

executeAction(stringIDToTypeID("resetDocumentFormatStr"), undefined, DialogModes.NO);

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Open the original, then immediately do a Save As with a different file name.

Make sure that you have a backup of the original in case you should make a mistake.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Sometimes I will Cmd+C followed by Cmd+V in Mac Finder (or Windows File Explorer) when I want to be 100% certain I'm not about to overwrite the original, then I open the copy.

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines