• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Is there a way to fix the window frame - bring the information back?

Community Beginner ,
Mar 27, 2020 Mar 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I hope you are doing well.

I'm trying to figure out what would be the best way to bring information back to the overexposed window frame. I have raw file. Is there a way to fix it?

If you could point me to the right direction I would really appreciate it.

Thank you!

1.png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Mar 27, 2020 Mar 27, 2020

Hi!

I wanted to give you a second option to add detail back into your image using Camera Raw.

1. Duplicate the image to a new layer, and select Camera Raw from the Filter Menu.

2. Here are the settings I used to darken the window frame in Camera Raw:

Screen Shot 2020-03-27 at 9.59.45 PM.png

When you are done modifying the image, click Ok.

3. Then make a selection around the window frame and add a Layer Mask by pressing the Layer Mask Icon at the bottom of the Layers Panel.

Screen Shot 2020-03-27 at 10.01.40 PM.png

Let us know if you have any questions,

Michelle

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Some pretty hard clipping on the highlights there. You could try this: use the Pen to make a mask for a Levels adjustment layer. In the Levels properties, drag the white point slider to the left, and drag the middle (Gamma) slider to the right.

image.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi!

I wanted to give you a second option to add detail back into your image using Camera Raw.

1. Duplicate the image to a new layer, and select Camera Raw from the Filter Menu.

2. Here are the settings I used to darken the window frame in Camera Raw:

Screen Shot 2020-03-27 at 9.59.45 PM.png

When you are done modifying the image, click Ok.

3. Then make a selection around the window frame and add a Layer Mask by pressing the Layer Mask Icon at the bottom of the Layers Panel.

Screen Shot 2020-03-27 at 10.01.40 PM.png

Let us know if you have any questions,

Michelle

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 28, 2020 Mar 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you have the raw file do it there with the Highlights slider. Opened in Photoshop it's already clipped and gone.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I normally do this in camera RAW using the highlights as already suggested.

I don't know how fluent you are with Ps, another option could be with masking levels, but I think the most efficient, as other already suggested, is using camera RAW. Consider you have a brush tool that allows you to work locally on the app too, you don't need to affect the hole picture if you don't want. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The point here is that the raw file may still contain recoverable data.

Once opened into Photoshop it's gone. If clipped in the raw conversion, it's not recoverable. Using the ACR filter will not change that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines