• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Issue when updating .psd files and saving as other formats (.eps, .jpg)

New Here ,
Feb 08, 2021 Feb 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We finally upgraded to CC at my work, and we design ads for print in photoshop. What we've done for years is create the ad design in photoshop, save it, then save as .eps file. We link the .eps files to our indesign documents because they preserve the text as vector, so it's better quality when printed in some instances. The problem that occurs with CC photoshop, is if I make a change to a .psd (exapmle.psd), save it, then Save As .eps (example.eps), I choose to replace the existing "example.eps', but instead it creates "example copy.eps". I know its doing this because .psd's have layers and such, so if you choose to save as a format like .eps or .jpg photoshop forces you to save as a copy. But in previous versions it never used to create a new file with "copy" in the name, it would just replace the old file. If I create a new document, "new.psd" save it, and then save as .eps, it simply creates "new.eps". It's only if I attempt to overwrite "new.eps' if I happen to make changes to the .psd, it saves "new copy.eps". CS5 and CS6 didn't have this issue, it would simply replace the old file. So in order to not break the links in our indesign docs, I have to delete the original and rename the copy, or delete the old .eps before I save it again. This is kind of a tedious extra step, leaves more room for error to occur, such as outdated files being used by mistake. Is there a way to fix this? A preference I can change? Thanks.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't seem to repro your issue; saving an EPS, opening that and then saving it again using "Save As" give me the option of overwriting and replacing the existing EPS without issue. (e.g., Appending "copy" to the file without asking.)

I believe Adobe started to remove the "CC" noclementure from their apps beginning with the 2020 versions. (Or was it 2019? I can't remember.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, I am using the latest version of photoshop if that's unclear.

I can open an .eps and save over it again no problem, That's not the issue. The .psd is the working file, the .eps is just the format I need it as later. I think to reproduce my issue you need to open a .psd (one with multiple layers) and then save as .eps. Then again from the .psd file try to save as .eps, it will make a copy instead of ooverwriting the .eps

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Er...obvious question: why don't you create the text in InDesign?

You've apparently found a workaround that keeps the text vector - but it must be emphasized that Photoshop is the worst possible tool for vector content. It's a raster editor, the vector tools are really just aids for making masks and selections.

There's also the fact that the eps format doesn't support icc profiles and standard color management. To many, that alone is a dealbreaker. Eps is generally considered an obsolete format (although still in use here and there).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the input. There may be things about our process that aren't ideal or outdated. We don't use photoshop for everything, we use indesign and illustrator for a lot of stuff too when necessary, but we do opt for photoshop for creating some elements just because we can throw things together quickly, and the ads are generally photo heavy. Vector text isn't necessary per say in this scenario, but can improve quality a bit in some instances. In fact if there isn't a way for it to work how it used to, we'll probably just link to the .psd's in our indesign files going forward, just to cut out the tedium of all file clutter. But the issue isn't only with .eps. if I have artwork created for web in photoshop,  and I save as a .jpeg, then need to make changes later and want to replace the .jpeg, the same problem will occur. Obviously not a huge deal and the work arounds are simple, it's just bit inconvient and if there's way it could work how it used to that'd be preferable.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hmm. Workflow that I tried:

Opened a PSD > File > Save As on the menu bar > EPS as file type > Save.

Then I tried (from the same PSD that was still open):

File > Save As > EPS as file type > Save. Photoshop simply asked me if I wanted to replace the EPS file that existed. 

Is there something maybe going on with your installation? Try an uninstall/reinstall yet?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines