Issue with Rasterizing Layer Style

Jan 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Using Adobe Photoshop Version: 21.2.4 20200922.r.323

I'm having an issue with dragging a logo into Photoshop from Illustrator, where it's a Smart Object. I want to recolor it, with a Layer Style, but when I go to Rastize Layer Style, it's Rasterizing the whole layer/Smart Obj.

I know this is a relatively minor issue, with several work arounds, but I don't want to update to PS 22.1 just yet if I don't have to. Just wondering if anyone else has experienced this, and if it could possibly be addressed.

TOPICS
Bug, Problem or error, Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Issue with Rasterizing Layer Style

Jan 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Using Adobe Photoshop Version: 21.2.4 20200922.r.323

I'm having an issue with dragging a logo into Photoshop from Illustrator, where it's a Smart Object. I want to recolor it, with a Layer Style, but when I go to Rastize Layer Style, it's Rasterizing the whole layer/Smart Obj.

I know this is a relatively minor issue, with several work arounds, but I don't want to update to PS 22.1 just yet if I don't have to. Just wondering if anyone else has experienced this, and if it could possibly be addressed.

TOPICS
Bug, Problem or error, Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Jan 11, 2021 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Jan 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try Layer > Layer Style > Create Layers on the menu bar if that's what you want. (Can also right-click the layer style and use the context menu.)

Be aware this may complicate your layer stack a bit; Photoshop usually orders the styles accordingly and your original layer might be sandwiched somewhere between but Photohop will label the outer layers accordingly. (e.g., <name of layer>'s ColorFill, <name of layer>'s Outer Stroke, etc.)

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 11, 2021 0
jane-e LATEST
Adobe Community Professional ,
Jan 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try this:

In Illustrator, go to File > Export > Photoshop and choose Layers (not Flat). I like to be sure I've named the layers first and am working in the same color mode. I set the ruler in both to pixels.

Before I start, I do a quick drag-and-drop from AI to PS to check the size of the Illustrator file in PS. If it's too small, I do Cmd+T, scale it bigger, note the percentage in the options bar, and cancel the transform. Then I scale it by the same percentage in Illustrator before bringing it over so there is no scaling once it's in PS.

~ Jane

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 11, 2021 0