Items in work area appear green

New Here ,
Mar 07, 2021 Mar 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey there!

I'm having a problem I'm not sure I can wrap my head around.

I edit photos on two devices in photoshop - a laptop and a desktop. Both have identical settings as far as color management.

I use a service called AnyDesk to remotely log into the laptop. This is only worth mentioning because I can open photoshop on the laptop but still view it through the desktop's monitor and I'm using this to help show the comparison. 

The problem:

For the desktop setup, every item in my work area has a green tint. When I go to export the photo (I still use ctrl+alt+shift+s for web), the photo looks different in the preview panel, usually much pinker. After checking it on my phone, the pinker version is the "true" color of the image. The green I see in the work area is incorrect.

However, on the laptop, the photo coloring looks identical for both the work area and the export. The laptop's work area shows the true color.

Here's a recent file I was working with on the desktop (taken within the Photoshop work area):

green.JPG

Here's the same file opened with the laptop within Photoshop (and it's being viewed through AnyDesk, so it's the same monitor displaying both images):

pink.JPG

Any ideas on how I can track down what's causing this? It seems to be specific to the work area of the desktop, but settings are identical (and I think synced?) between the two setups.

TOPICS
Problem or error, Windows

Views

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think I fixed this on my own. I have a custom color profile for the desktop monitor and needed to select it in Photoshop to see the right colors in the work area. Stumbled across this by trying to open a file on desktop that was already open on the laptop and Photoshop prompted that my embedded profile was a mismatch for the file, which got me to digging.

For anyone else that would like to read about this setting: https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/color-settings.html

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, that's not a solution. The real problem is that you have a defective monitor profile.

Setting the monitor profile as document profile is something you should never, ever, do! That disables all color management in Photoshop, and that very quickly gets you into much deeper problems.

Since your defective monitor profile is now bypassed and cancelled out, all problems are hidden from you. But they are still there!

Windows "Photos" and most other consumer-oriented photo viewers are not color managed and do not use the monitor profile at all. They are unaffected by a bad profile (but will never be entirely correct either).

Replace your current monitor profile with sRGB IEC61966-2.1 as a temporary measure for now. The proper fix is to use a calibrator to make a new profile. Relaunch PS when done, it loads the profile at application startup:

Displayprofile_20_3.png

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines