• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Javascript vs. Python for Photoshop Scripting

Jun 25, 2019 Jun 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Everybody,

I've toyed with Photoshop's JSX API toolset a little bit and am getting back into Photoshop automations. I hear a lot about Python and was wondering what (if any) would be the benefits of using Python with Photoshop versus Javascript.

Outside syntax preference and familiarity are there reasons to migrate?

TOPICS
Actions and scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop Scripting support plug-in does not support Python you would need to develop a  plug-in for Photoshop that add  Python scripting support to Photoshop.. Also note that Adobe Photoshop DOM  does not support all of Photoshop features. When scripting Photoshop often  Action manager code needs to be used. To script features not supported by Adobe DOM.  Adobe Plug-in  Scriptlistener records all the can be recorded in Action Manager code into two log files on is Action Manager code coded in VBS syntax the other in JavaScript syntax.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The advantage would be that you could talk to other applications at the same time as you can with VB, C# etc.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 26, 2019 Jun 26, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On windows, python has the ability to do VBScript.

If you want to do cross platform, win and mac, then python would be a *bad* choice as you would have to see if you can do AppleScript on the mac, not sure if there is a python module for that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jun 26, 2019 Jun 26, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Cool, it sounds like I should just stick with Javascript or JSX capabilities for batch scripting (e.g. add border to [folder][files]). I'm not looking to do anything seriously robust or marketable. I just want to have the ability to like save-for-web a whole folder of items.

I'm learning python now and trying to wrap my head around what it is and then next what NOT to learn as it's so vast.

Thanks everybody!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 28, 2020 May 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey all,
I have created a python API for photoshop, maybe this can help your integration photoshop to your pipeline.

Below is the project link:

https://github.com/loonghao/photoshop-python-api

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 24, 2020 Jun 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is great Hal Long! I've been scripting for Photoshop with Python for a few months now using win32com.client. As a personal preference programming with Python has been so flexible and faster for me using the library extracted from ScriptingSupport.8li. This Python API you've created looks pretty flexible to.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 30, 2020 Oct 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

but that only works on windows, this API allows mac users to plug into it too?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 25, 2021 Feb 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I'm afraid not, I just installed it and it seems it needs library "winreg" to work 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines