Highlighted

JPEG darker than PSD

New Here ,
Jul 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know this delima has been posed a million times, and I've gone through all of them and still no dice.

Problem: After editing my image in PS, I save to JPEG and the image goes darker upon opening it on my phone, Fast Stone Image Viewer, Firefox, as well as my husband's computer (3 monitors worth of testing). Upward of 1-2 stops.

Settings (please see images)/Thoughts:

* Photoshop CC 2019 v. 20.0.6

* In color settings, I have tried every option under Color Management Policies, from Off to Preserve to Convert.
* I use Lightroom, however, ALWAYS convert to 16-bit TIFF before working in PS.
* I just re-calibrated my monitor in June using my X-Rite i1Display Pro.
* If I screenshot the image, it displays as shown in Photoshop using any method I choose (Fast Stone, Paint, etc).
* If I reopen the image in PS after saving it as JPG, it displays properly (with the PS settings I'd applied to the PSD), but will still show dark otherwise.

* This image has had exposure and gamma correction applied in two layers - does this have any bearing on how sRGB is translated from PS to other JPG viewers?

* I have flattened the layers and saved it and it still shows dark outside of PS. (It was suggested that the viewer in PS was artifacting in one thread I read, no go.)
* Save for web: Optimized is checked, Embed Color Profile is checked, Convert to sGB is checked... still dark in viewer.

This issue is quite new to me, as I've been using PS and LR for a couple years now and never had an issue.

If anyone can help, I'd be forever grateful!! 

TOPICS
Import and export, Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

JPEG darker than PSD

New Here ,
Jul 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know this delima has been posed a million times, and I've gone through all of them and still no dice.

Problem: After editing my image in PS, I save to JPEG and the image goes darker upon opening it on my phone, Fast Stone Image Viewer, Firefox, as well as my husband's computer (3 monitors worth of testing). Upward of 1-2 stops.

Settings (please see images)/Thoughts:

* Photoshop CC 2019 v. 20.0.6

* In color settings, I have tried every option under Color Management Policies, from Off to Preserve to Convert.
* I use Lightroom, however, ALWAYS convert to 16-bit TIFF before working in PS.
* I just re-calibrated my monitor in June using my X-Rite i1Display Pro.
* If I screenshot the image, it displays as shown in Photoshop using any method I choose (Fast Stone, Paint, etc).
* If I reopen the image in PS after saving it as JPG, it displays properly (with the PS settings I'd applied to the PSD), but will still show dark otherwise.

* This image has had exposure and gamma correction applied in two layers - does this have any bearing on how sRGB is translated from PS to other JPG viewers?

* I have flattened the layers and saved it and it still shows dark outside of PS. (It was suggested that the viewer in PS was artifacting in one thread I read, no go.)
* Save for web: Optimized is checked, Embed Color Profile is checked, Convert to sGB is checked... still dark in viewer.

This issue is quite new to me, as I've been using PS and LR for a couple years now and never had an issue.

If anyone can help, I'd be forever grateful!! 

TOPICS
Import and export, Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Jul 14, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Jul 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

if you are flattening the PSD and saving the JPEG with sRGB embedded that’s all good.

do not ever set color management to off - preserve is what's needed

If you open the saved Jpeg in Photoshop it's OK, right?

I could not understand this (red part):

"* If I reopen the image in PS after saving it as JPG, it displays properly (with the PS settings I'd applied to the PSD), but will still show dark otherwise."

Anyhow:

Brightness / luminance is not a regulated part of calibration, the luminance target setting is a user choice, perhaps you have the computer set real bright? 

perhaps you have the phone set not so bright? 

If the luminance of the mac and phone screens differs then that's not something colour management can fix automatically, 

On Weindown the photos app has no colour mamagement so ignore the appearance in that, also taking screenshots is not a test of colour management capabilities. 

I hope this helps

if so, please "like" my reply and if you're OK now, please mark it as "correct", so that others who have similar issues can see the solution

thanks

neil barstow, colourmanagement.net :: adobe forum volunteer

[please do not use the reply button on a message within the thread, only use the blue reply button at the top of the page, this maintains the original thread title and chronological order of posts]

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 15, 2020 0
New Here ,
Sep 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

This is my first post on a forum, so please forgive any mistakes I make in posting.

I've been having this exact same issue and this is the only post/question I can find that describes my problem.

I've pretty much gone through everything you have in the hope of finding out a solution, but I've had no joy at all. Did you ever figure out what was going wrong? 

Thanks to your post I've now seen that the "exported/saved as" jpeg, when opened with Photoshop shows the image exactly as it should be. I've tried opening the saved jpeg over different devices and using multiple programs/apps, and they all show the image as significantly darker. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 30, 2020 0
New Here ,
Sep 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey there, John!

Unfortunately, I never figured out what the issue was. Fortunately, for me, it was only on that one particular photo - which let me know that it was a setting/layer related to that specific JPEG. What the setting was, I never figured it out. I wish I could be of more help, because I know how absolutely frustrating it is. Without knowing how it's displaying on other monitors, it's a shot in the dark as to whether you could work around it by taking a screen shot once all your work is complete. 

Good luck to you!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 30, 2020 1
Sep 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

<>

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 30, 2020 0
Sep 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Make sure the sRGB Color Space is selected in your Export As panel, see screenshot. This should be all that's needed for color managed apps and browsers.

image.png

Nancy O'Shea, ACP
Alt-Web.com

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 30, 2020 0
Sep 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

...but don't forget to embed the profile there, Jane 🙂

Any image viewed without full color management - whether it's because the viewer doesn't support it, or the profile isn't embedded - will tend to appear darker in the shadow values. If the image is predominantly low key, the whole image may appear significantly darker.

The reason for this is that LCD monitors have a native dip in the shadow values. It's just how LCDs work. The monitor profile records this and compensates, so that the result is a linear response.

Color management isn't just about color. It's just as much about the tone response curve. It's all part of the profile.

In applications without color management it obviously doesn't matter whether you embed the profile or not. Both document and monitor profiles are just ignored anyway. But in applications that do support color management, it's important that the document profile is there. If it isn't, some will assign a default - but some will just give up and stop all color management if there's no embedded profile. Firefox at default settings is a case in point.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 30, 2020 1
Oct 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi John5E3C

IF your image is either

1: converted to sRGB and saved with the sRGB profile embedded.

OR

2: if you use export AND make sure the sRGB profile is embedded

Then it should show correctly on apps where colourmanagement is enabled.

IF its to be shown in non-colourmanaged environments then by converting to sRGB you've done all you can to adapt to that situation. 

It's not ideal for sure but it is standard industry practice.

Do note that IF your Mac or PC screen is rather bright and the other devices are not [or if they are viewed in very bright surroundings] then this brightness can mean images show darker, that’s pretty obvious I guess. 

Try viewing this image on a mobile device: 

https://tinyurl.com/mobiletestimage-jpg

Also downloading the [Adobe RGB] desktop version here and showing in Photoshop:

https://colourmanagement.net/index.php/downloads_listing

compare and report back please

I hope this helps

thanks
neil barstow, colourmanagement.net :: adobe forum volunteer
[please do not use the reply button on a message within the thread, only use the blue reply button at the top of the page, this maintains the original thread title and chronological order of posts]

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 01, 2020 0