• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

JPEG Dialogue Pop-Up During Batch

Contributor ,
Oct 07, 2018 Oct 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Batch runs smoothly for me, now, but every once in a while, a dialogue box with JPEG Options will open in the middle of an Automate | Batch | MyActionName run, asking how I want a .jpg file saved, but processes all the other .jpg images in my source folder and saves them to my target folder, automatically.  In my test set, there are several JPEGs. They are  a random grab -- some mine, some not. Opening the problematic image in PS, then saving it -- same name & extension -- eliminates the pop-up on a re-run, but in the run of a hundred pictures, I would have to sit and watch the screen. Why does PS twice react differently to the same file & extension?  All extensions in the source folder are lower case -- .jpg.

When I tried this on some of my old photos, the same dialogue box popped up for each & every one, before I stopped the process.  Instead of checking the file properties of each of the photos, to check the Mode (I assumed this might be the problem), I used Image Processor to convert all from .jpg format to, again, .jpg format, but sRGB colour, which resulted in a perfect run. My question is are there other commonalities/requirements in file format that must be met for Batch processing? Is there a way to override this and have an Action always save .JPEGs (or any other format) in the same way?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Oct 07, 2018 Oct 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is no way we can give you a definitive answer without having you action and your test cases.  It most likely you have a mixture of file types and documents with different conditions. Saves steps and Open steps in Batched actions can also be over ridden using Photoshop File Automate Batch options,  So we also do not if your actions have Open and Save steps and if they are being over ridden by how you used batch.

If I were you I would opt for simple actions that do not have and Open or saves and batch them with scripts like Image Processor or Image Processor Pro plug-in script which us a more powerful script.  It lack the Process open document option the Image processor has but can save up to 10 set of output images and more types of images than Image processor.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Oct 08, 2018 Oct 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you - I have downloaded Image Processor Pro.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The normal reason this happens is that the original file has properties that are not supported in the jpeg specification - in other words almost everything you can do to a file. Jpeg doesn't support layers, masks, 16 bit depth, and so on.

One example is if you have cropped the file with "hide" pixels instead of "delete". Jpeg can't handle that.

What happens then is that Photoshop saves a copy, and asks you what you want to do with the original.

I handle that by building everything into the action including a custom Save As location, and then the action closes the file without saving. This avoids the whole issue of what to do with the original - it's not changed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you.  I created a couple of folders with a grab bag of JPEGs, some of differing Modes, then created and ran the Action that you suggested. I then ran a second Action on the results of the first, with the Adjustments I wanted.  Everything ran perfectly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 16, 2020 Jan 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey, can you show me the action ? thanks in advance..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 07, 2020 Jan 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Remove "Preview" from JPEG Option popup

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 16, 2021 Apr 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks, Nabeel. This was exactly what I was looking for. A since simple solution to a real-world problem 🙂 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines