Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

JPEG Export EXIF handling inconsistencies

Community Beginner ,
Apr 11, 2021 Apr 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,
today I noticed a couple on inconsistencies when exporting from a TIFF/PSD/PSB to a JPEG and Save As a JPEG.

When using the Export menu and then "Save for Web (Legacy)" then I can controll what EXIF data to keep and if the image should be converted to sRGB.

"Export As..." can only keep 'Copyright and Contact Info', no camera info
"Save As..." does not give you any of these options.

But that's exactly where my problem lies.
"Save As..." deletes ALL EXIF data like camera data, copyright info and so on.

Is there any way to change that habbit for "Save As..." in the preferences?
I prefer to use "Save As..." because it's faster then any of the export dialogues by quite a bit for me.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First thing first. What is final destination for your images? If you plan to use them for web then use Export > option instead of Save As which is better to save images for print but not for web. In fact Save As is terrible option for web, if you do not have software in background to scale and optimize images you will loose most visitors.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 12, 2021 Apr 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Final destination differs. Web, Instagram, customer...
I usally resize manually, cause I often change crop depending on the useage of the image and the size.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Save As should retain the maximum amount of metadata without any option to exclude.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you describe the steps you are using which seem to show that Save As is throwing away metadata? Because, as noted, that's not the popular view of what it does.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use an app callen PhotoSummary for my Instagram posts.
It takes an image, blurs it and then displays the metadata of the image on it.
Like camera model, lens, focal length, shutter speed and aperture.
Using Save for Web (Legacy) the app automatically reads the metadata and displays it.
Using Save As... the app doesn't and I have to fill it by hand.

For me that's obvious, that metadata gets lost using the Save As... function.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

EDIT: I just checked the whole workflow from RAW-Import into Lightroom through Photoshop up till delivery of the images.

The metadata I need are:
Shutter speed, camera model, focal length, aperture

Import into Lightroom: Metadata is still there, Bridge can read it.
Export from Lightroom as TIFF: Metadata is selected as "Include all Metadata", "Remove Person Info" "Remove Location Data"
Open TIFF in Photoshop: File Info shows the required metadata. Bridge can't read/doesn't display the required metadata.
Save As...: Bridge doesn't show metadata. App PhotoSummary on Android doesn't display metadata.
Export As...: Bridge doesn't show metadata. App PhotoSummary on Android doesn't display metadata.
Save for Web (Legacy): Bridge doesn't show metadata. App PhotoSummary on Android displays metadata.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines