Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

JPG different than RAW image

New Here ,
Feb 14, 2021 Feb 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Just wondering why my RAW image and JPEG image after saving in Photoshop are so diferent in color although they're supposed to be the same.

I just want to get the same looking image in JPEG format but the difference is huge...

Thank you in advance.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It might be of relevance so I should add that the RAW is Nikon NEF image.
When I convert it to JPEG via online tool (www.iloveimg.com), the image stays the same (no change in colors whatsoever). So it must be something wrong I'm doing in Photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Did you embed the color profile when saving the jpg?

Please set the Status Bar to »Document Profile« and post meaningful screenshots.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, they are not supposed to be the same. You misunderstand.

The jpeg is generated by the camera, using automated processing in the camera.

ACR is a completely different processing engine and the result will always be different. The default settings are intentionally conservative, because you are in any case supposed to make your own. You have full control and it's entirely up to you.

There is no such thing as an "original" or "true" version of a raw image. The raw file itself is just a very dark, very flat and tonally compressed grayscale image. It needs to be processed into a useful, recognizable image, and that processing is an interpretation.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In this case, the JPEG file is dark and flat, while the RAW file is bright and looking just the way I want it to look.

Furthermore, saving something RAW just to turn out completly different in JPEG makes no sense. I tweaked the image to my preferences so when I change formats (to JPEG in this case), I want it to stay the same. What's the point of color correction, color grading and adjusting it to suit my taste if the image is going to look different once I save it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In that case you're viewing the saved jpeg in a viewer that doesn't support color mangement, like e.g. Windows "Photos". You need to view in a color managed application to trust what you see.

It's also possible that you have a broken monitor profile. Photos doesn't use the profile at all, so it will be unaffected (but never entirely right either).

We need to see side by side screenshots. Include the application interface so we see which is which.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So, just to clarify, I am not complaining how my RAWs look, I am satisfied with those. I just want to know why my JPEGs don't look the same when I saved them in Photoshop. They turn out completly flat and murky.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

save*

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Raw Image are Mosaic images they are not a RGB image till you convert it  the into an rgb image is some color space  8bit or 16bit color depth and Adobe RAW Conversion engines has ways you can apply color adjustments. You the save a RGB IMAGE is some Image file format like Jpeg.  A RAW image can be developed many ways. You never see the Mosaic Image. When you see a raw image you are looking at one of the possible conversion that are possible,  An image may be converted many time and each conversion can look different then all the others.   A Jpeg image is a conversion of a Camera Sensor RAW data. Its a 8Bit RGB  images.  without transparency. When you view a jpeg you are viewing some conversion and when you view your raw file you are viewing a possible conversion not the mosaic image.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines