• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

JPG to PNG: Need the layer to also change from Background to Layer 1 - will not work

Community Beginner ,
Apr 12, 2021 Apr 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a (client supplied) PS action. This action should be run on PNGs. Well, of course, I get JPG images. Not a big deal, I can run them through a JPG - PNG converter.

Here is my pain point: The PS action has a step recorded to select layer "Layer 1". (see attached image)

The JPG image layer is titled Background. Whether it's a JPG or has been converted using an online tool, that image layer remains as Background. So the action stops dead. I have tried to create an action that renames that layer from Background to Layer 1, but no matter how I do it...and trust me, I have tried a bunch of different ways, the name reverts back to Background after saving. 

Photoshop Express has a tool to convert JPG to PNG...and the downloaded PNG's layer is named Layer 1 but it will only allow ONE image at a time. Come on...there has to be a way to batch this!? 

Any advice on how to do one (or both) of the following?

1. Edit the existing Action to change that the step to be OK with the layer being named Background, instead of Layer 1.

2. What would be the steps to record an action that will convert to PNG and ALSO rename that Background to Layer 1

A solution for either will fix my pain - either I edit the action, or I need guidance on how to get renaming Background to Layer 1 to stick.

TOPICS
Actions and scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Apr 12, 2021 Apr 12, 2021

You'll need to record a new action step changing Background to Layer 1

set-bg.png

Then move it into the correct position in the action set and delete the unwanted step.

I wouldn't suggest that you resave a JPEG into a PNG, the lossy compression artifacs will be baked into the file and it will not be as clean as saving directly to PNG without the intermediate JPEG step.

Although you can use the Batch command, I would simply remove the export step from the action and use the Image Processor Pro scri

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If your background layer is locked, double click the layer to unlock it.

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You'll need to record a new action step changing Background to Layer 1

set-bg.png

Then move it into the correct position in the action set and delete the unwanted step.

I wouldn't suggest that you resave a JPEG into a PNG, the lossy compression artifacs will be baked into the file and it will not be as clean as saving directly to PNG without the intermediate JPEG step.

Although you can use the Batch command, I would simply remove the export step from the action and use the Image Processor Pro script to bulk-save out PNG files (the Image Processor script that ships with Photoshop does not offer PNG):

https://sourceforge.net/projects/ps-scripts/files/Image%20Processor%20Pro/v3_2%20betas/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 13, 2021 Apr 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hmmm. The Image Processore Pro bit is a little above my skill set, but you gave me a good idea. The lossy compression isn't that big of a deal with my images. In case anyone is curious about my workflow

I deleted the unwanted step from the client's action.

I gave the (edited) client action a keyboard shortcut.

I recorded a new action for the steps to rename Background to Layer 1 and ended it with the client action's keyboard shortcut.

Then I ran a batch on that newly created action.

Success

Thanks!

K

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines