• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

JPGS copied from a Mac won't open from a flash drive on a PC!?

New Here ,
Nov 29, 2016 Nov 29, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I edited and retouched about 800 pictures for a customer. I copied them all (saved them all as JPGs) to a flash drive from my Mac and gave them to said customer. However, he isn't able to open most of the files. I noticed the files he can't open (on his PC) are smaller KB files compared to some of the pictures are MB files. How can I make sure the files are universal so he can open them from the flash drive on his PC. Please let me know if you know why its doing this and how I can fix it.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Advisor , Nov 29, 2016 Nov 29, 2016

Do the small kb files that the customer can't open have  ._  (dot underscore) at the beginning of the file name?

These are not the image files.

These are (usually) invisible files that the Mac uses to display positions of files and folder icons.

You probably have a ._ file for every image file you added to the flash drive.

These ._  files can be ignored or deleted by the WIndows user.

Only try to open the files that have a normal file name and end with.jpg (although Windows & Macs both have a sett

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi lizp,

Please ask your client about the image Processor being used by him.

Also, check if you are able to open most of the JPEG's in Default image processor on your computer.You can open the File Properties to see if the files are locked or saved in other format.

Regards,

Akash

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've tried the flash drive on my fiancé's laptop as well. Half of the pictures only open on their as well from the flash drive. He has a HP Windows 7.

I appreciate the help, as I have no idea why the files won't simply open from the flash drive.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Copy them again from your computer and add them again.There is a possibility that the File transfer was interrupted and files were only partially copied.

~Akash

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do the small kb files that the customer can't open have  ._  (dot underscore) at the beginning of the file name?

These are not the image files.

These are (usually) invisible files that the Mac uses to display positions of files and folder icons.

You probably have a ._ file for every image file you added to the flash drive.

These ._  files can be ignored or deleted by the WIndows user.

Only try to open the files that have a normal file name and end with.jpg (although Windows & Macs both have a setting to hide file extension. A bad idea in my opinion, I like to be able to instantly identify what kind of file something is by looking at the extension)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 04, 2020 Oct 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found that on the USB the real JPEG files copied from a Macbook were at the end of the directory - the ._ files took up half the USB capacity but can be deleted - just irritating and time consuming 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 05, 2020 Oct 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

jacquil - Those "._ files"are there on a Mac too, but invisible, its just the Win maked them visible - I doubt they take up much of the directory they are tiny. List view space, yes, disk space - not really

I hope this helps

thanks
neil barstow, colourmanagement.net :: adobe forum volunteer
[please do not use the reply button on a message within the thread, only use the blue reply button at the top of the page, this maintains the original thread title and chronological order of posts]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines