• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

keyboard stops responding on rare occasions

Engaged ,
Feb 07, 2021 Feb 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the latest PS 2211, using it on the PC Win10, with all latest drivers and updates.

Sometimes, during photo editing the keyboard just stops responding. No shortcuts in PS work, it seems dead. Mouse is working normally.

At first I thought Ps lost focus due to some error on my part, like entering some number somewhere, stuck in some menu setting or switching other languages or anything. But it's not. It can happen out of nowhere.

I have also changed two keyboards, thinking if it was the keyboard issue - it's not.

The workaround is to either go to other programs or to use the mouse to manually select certain tools (e.g. move). After that keyboard in PS works again.

I'm using logitech corded keyboards, default drivers. Also PS is freshly installed with no imported settings (aside of my actions/windows positions/swatches/curves).

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Feb 07, 2021 Feb 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try resetting the tools and/or preferences.
To restore preferences quickly using a keyboard shortcut:

Press and hold Alt+Control+Shift (Windows) or Option+Command+Shift (Mac OS) as you start Photoshop. You are prompted to delete the current settings. The new preferences files are created the next time you start Photoshop.
Note: Using the keyboard shortcut, preference files for custom shortcuts, workspaces, and color settings will also be reset to default.

from here:

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/preferences.html#restore_preferences

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Feb 13, 2021 Feb 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That didn't help.

"PS is freshly installed with no imported settings (aside of my actions/windows positions/swatches/curves)."

As I said in my first message, happens regardless of the preferences (which I deleted anyway).

The easiest workaround is to switch back to Windows and go back to PS, but it's annoying regardless and interrupts the workflow.

If you need more hardware or software info about this problem to help reproduce this issue, please ask what to report.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try using a different USB port for the keyboard.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The port has nothing to do with it. The keyboard is NOT losing sync or anything, it works normally - but under certain circumstances stops being recognized by PS *ONLY*, while still working everywhere else.

And there's a workaround. If USB/hardware was faulty, the same workaround wouldn't work every single time, following the exact same pattern.

Also I tested two physically different keyboards, same results.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How much RAM and spare disk capacity do you have?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

32gb, +300gb free on SSD with a scratch disk.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Not sure if it's related in any way, but suggested workaround works here too.

https://community.adobe.com/t5/adobe-xd/frequently-stops-recognizing-keyboard-inputs/td-p/11482188

Simply ALT-TAB, pressing Win key and going somewhere else "pokes" PS to continue working as before.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines