Laptop

New Here ,
Feb 10, 2021 Feb 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi. I have a question to photographers . 
could you help me please? Is MacBook Pro 13incn (  M1 chip, 16gb Ram and 1tb ssd ) best for photographers ? 
thank you 

TOPICS
Mac

Views

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Most Valuable Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd think a photographer would want a much bigger screen than that, but you can plug one in I guess. 

One day all Macs will be M1 and they will be good for Photoshop. In the mean time, take care, there are very few native M1 apps, and there are issues for people who choose to be on the Bleeding Edge (as it is often called).

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you. 

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A good external display is required for photography anyway. A laptop screen is fine for casual use, but nowhere near good enough for any precision work. Brand or size or manufacturer bragging are all irrelevant. It's a laptop.

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Macbooks may have the power you need, but the screen, although nice to look at - isn't great for consistency.

If you get to try one, you'll notice that tilting the screen towards or away from the viewer changes its appearance significantly. You certainly need consistency when assessing and editing images.

For this reason, (and for space reasons too) many users like to plug in an external desktop screen to the MacBook. Look at the Eizo the Coloredge range.

Buy right and buy once, that means not Dell because it suffers from patchy appearance.

When my MacBook is occasionally plugged into my Eizo I use an external keyboard and mouse too. I have MacBook for working on-site, so yes, I do need the portability. I have Mac Mini in my office too.

Other users may comment on the Mac Mini's capability for Photoshop work - there may be video card considerations - if you're considering one, I'd recommend you start a new thread here specifically about Mac Minis and Photoshop 

I hope this helps
neil barstow, colourmanagement net :: adobe forum volunteer
google me "neil barstow colourmanagement" for lots of free articles on colour management
[please only use the blue reply button at the top of the page, this maintains the original thread title and chronological order of posts]

If you don't need portability maybe a mini or mac pro is a better choice 

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Most Valuable Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe products don't work well with M1 yet... apart from that the M1 is a great new system as far as Mac goes

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Apple's new M1 machines are among the fastest consumer systems available and beat the pants off anything costing up to 3-4 times as much. Native software is still coming out (Adobe has native versions in beta testing) and you'll see not only much faster M-series computers but many more native apps this year.

I would wait for the second wave of M machines if you possibly can.

A 13" screen is tough to use for Photoshop. You'll definitely want a second monitor either way.

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines