• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Large black (or white) box on top of the image in Photoshop (does not save to the file)

New Here ,
May 02, 2015 May 02, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This has suddenly started - a black box (some times white )

appears over the top of the image & obscures what Im doing. Its not present when I save the file - only when Im trying to work on it. I cant see what Im doing to the image

Help !!

James

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Contributor , Jun 03, 2015 Jun 03, 2015

To anyone having issues with the Black and White squares, launch Bridge and go to Camera Raw Preferences and at the bottom of the window make sure that "use graphic processor" is UNCHECKED.    

This is a temporary work around but it'll at least make the squares disappear.

Chris

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Explorer ,
Jun 02, 2015 Jun 02, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using Camera Raw 9.0.

Just to be clear so Adobe can maybe look into this, the white box issue only seem to occur for me when 'Use Graphics Processor' is checked for ACR. Having check marks next to "Use Graphics Processor" and the Advanced Settings in Photoshop Preferences > Performance doesn't seem to cause any problems for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Chris

I'm using Camera Raw 9.0 and would agree with caligula1 that it is only when 'Use Graphics Processor' is checked for ACR that the problem occurs. I too have check marks next to "Use Graphics Processor" and the Advanced Settings in Photoshop Preferences > Performance.

On another thread on this same issue a guy (from Adobe I think) conceded that it is possible that something done in the ACR GPU code could subsequently cause problems in Photoshop once the file returns to Photoshop. Since this only started to happen after the last update  for Bridge and Photoshop, and that Camera Raw 9.0 was released with the new GPU based features enabled I feel it reasonable to assume that this feature could be the root cause of the issue.

I guess if Adobe could replicate the issue then it stands a chance of being investigated - so, fingers crossed ....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Two questions:

Was ACR updated at the same time or after the update to PS and Bridge?

Have you tried to downgrade temporarily to the previous version of Camera Raw?

Yes the issue is being addressed at the moment by Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To be honest I'm not sure - I always apply the updates as and when Adobe release them through the Creative Cloud app but I do think the update to ACR 9.0 was the last update and it was after then that the issue started.

I haven't tried to downgrade temporarily to the previous version of Camera Raw. Once I discovered that unchecking  'Use Graphics Processor' in ACR seemed to provide a solution plus the fact that I like the new HDR merge feature in ACR I decided to leave things as is.

Great news that you say that the issue is being addressed at the moment by Adobe - many thanks for your help in achieving this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Chris for your help in bringing the issue to Adobe's attention for testing.

I too am not entirely sure when the update to ACR was done but usually update any Adobe software as soon as I see that a new release or update is available on Creative Cloud. Doesn't ACR automatically get updated whenever one updates photoshop CC14 as ACR is not a stand alone application?  Or does ACR have its own updates?

The issue started for me as soon as I updated photoshop CC14 (which I am guessing is when ACR was also updated). I didn't have the white box problem in prior versions of photoshop CC and CC14. Like 2geedesign, I'm kind of convinced that the problem is caused by having 'Use Graphic Processor' checked for ACR. After I try to do any processing in ACR with that setting checked, the white boxes show up immediately on any files that also happen to be open in photoshop.

I don't still have prior versions of photoshop installed  and think you are required to uninstall CC14 if you want to reinstall an earlier version so can't easily back test.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jun 03, 2015 Jun 03, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You don't need to do a reinstall of PS, just ACR. You are correct, having the option turned on to use the graphics processor is causing the issue. You can leave it off if you don't want to go

through the steps to downgrade ACR.

Chris

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Chris

It's a great relief to see that the issue has been recognised as being related to PS/Camera Raw rather than my system. I'm happy to work with the "use graphic processor" switched off option until Adobe release an update that solves the issue. Would you know the likely timescale for such an update?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe never says precisely when an update will be released, although, someone from Adobe has said “soon” about another issue being addressed. There are just so many bugs and Adobe releases ACR 9.1 and Lightroom 6.1 at the same time, usually, so at some point one release could be waiting on the other to be ready.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Love to say I did know but its always a toss up.But you should get notification via Adobe Creative Cloud the same as any other Adobe Application.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 08, 2015 May 08, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i don`t understand that

what i do or i solve a problem black or wight box

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To anyone having issues with the Black and White squares, launch Bridge and go to Camera Raw Preferences and at the bottom of the window make sure that "use graphic processor" is UNCHECKED.    

This is a temporary work around but it'll at least make the squares disappear.

Chris

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 14, 2015 Jul 14, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Chris! solved my problem. But what does it mean to uncheck "use graphic processor". Does it interfere anything else in Bridge or PS CC?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 14, 2015 Jul 14, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

jørnm65 wrote:

Thanks Chris! solved my problem. But what does it mean to uncheck "use graphic processor". Does it interfere anything else in Bridge or PS CC?

As far as I know, that particular option in ACR only affects cosmetic performance in ACR (such as scrubby zoom). I think it helps with acceleration of other tools too but don't quote me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 10, 2016 Jul 10, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry but it doesn't work (at least not for me). I turned off the graphics processor, initially in Camera Raw preferences, then in Photoshop preferences. I also tried purging the Camera Raw cache.

I not only re-started Photoshop each time, I restarted my computer (just to be sure).

I still see a white box when zooming.

I have to say I'm getting quite disgruntled with Adobe lately... this is just one of a few issues I have been experiencing (the worst are frequent crashes in Illustrator and InDesign).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 16, 2017 Mar 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It instantly went away when I purged the clipboard! edit > purge > clipboard

Let me know if it works for you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 11, 2015 Aug 11, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

These white and black boxes have been driving me nuts.  Thank you for your helpful tip.  I did uncheck that box "Use Graphics Processor" in both Photoshop and Bridge.  So far, that seems to be the ticket.  I do get a white bounding box outside my photo now but that I can live with.  Thanks for your help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 13, 2015 Aug 13, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

best use to remove Black or wight box

its simple

flow pls PicsScreen Shot 2015-08-13 at 9.22.09 PM.pngScreen Shot 2015-08-13 at 9.22.20 PM.png

or increases maximum size  "purge caches"

or don't uncheck "use Graphics processor"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 13, 2019 Sep 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In bridge go to camera raw preferences then go to performance 

under Use Graphics Processor set Custom and check Use GPU for image processing 

it worked for me. I am using Windows 10 Pro 64 bit

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 01, 2024 Apr 01, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi, what worked for me was disabling artboards. It seems artboards are the issue from my end. Try disabling artboards see if it works. When you create a new canvas just untick the artboards option and see if it works, it did for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines