Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Large Format Litho Negative

Engaged ,
Apr 06, 2021 Apr 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello
In the family archives of Adele I found this folder with negatives.
I need to scan these negatives for preservation and then to print out the results on photographic paper. I used to scan 35mm negatives using the supplied film holder.
Is it possible to scan these 6x9 inch negatives? I have a Epson 3170 Photo scanner.
ThanksarchiveIMG_3752.jpgarchiveIMG_3753.jpgarchiveIMG_3755.jpgarchiveIMG_3756.jpgarchiveIMG_3758.jpgarchiveIMG_3759.jpgarchive-lithoIMG_3751.jpg

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Should be possible, though you may need a fitting 6x9 holder (e.g. this one):
» https://www.photo.net/discuss/threads/scanning-6x9-negatives-with-epson-3170.332379/
» https://files.support.epson.com/pdf/pr317p/pr317ppg.pdf (Page 5, under "Scanning Film and Transparencies")

Is this related to Photoshop at all, though? Maybe a dedicated photography forum could be a better fit!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Should be possible, though you may need a fitting 6x9 holder (e.g. this one):

The Epson 3170 can scan film up to 6 x 9 cm.

These negatives are 6 x 9 inches, and would require a scanner than can scan 8 x 10" film, like for instance the 4990, V700/750 or V800/850.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Argh... you're right. I misread it somehow. My apologies!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you have access to a light table and a good macro lens, photographing it will probably give a better result than scanning.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screen Shot 2021-04-06 at 11.56.12 AM.png

A look, first at a sample print made from a negative not included in your post, and then a view of the film samples indicates you have composite (line and halftone) negatives. If the fidelity of those files is to be maintained, your best option is to avoid a lens altogether. 

Purchase ortho litho film and chemistry. A Google browse should turn up a source for film and chemistry supplies.

Buy or make a simple contact frame.

Remove the films from the goldenrod paper and give them a thorough cleaning.

Under red safelight contact an existing film to the unexposed film emulsion-to-emulsion. That will produce a film positive. 

Repeat the process using the dried positive, again emulsion-to-emulsion. Since, the starting images are composites, the halftones consist of what are called hard dots (I would guess 133 or 150/lpi) and an exact duplicate is not difficult to make. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines