Highlighted

Large PNG Files

New Here ,
Aug 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there, I work with large RGB PNG files and am noticing that some are abnomally larger than other files of the same dimensions.  Like 30 - 40 megs vs. 3 - 5 megs for the smaller files.  I'm not noticing any differences in color modes, etc.  Resaving the larger files as a PNG file doesn't make the larger files smaller.  

1. Why would this be? 

2. If I take the larger files and File > Export PNG will this lose color or image quality? It DOES make the files significantly smaller. 

TOPICS
Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Large PNG Files

New Here ,
Aug 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there, I work with large RGB PNG files and am noticing that some are abnomally larger than other files of the same dimensions.  Like 30 - 40 megs vs. 3 - 5 megs for the smaller files.  I'm not noticing any differences in color modes, etc.  Resaving the larger files as a PNG file doesn't make the larger files smaller.  

1. Why would this be? 

2. If I take the larger files and File > Export PNG will this lose color or image quality? It DOES make the files significantly smaller. 

TOPICS
Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Aug 05, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Aug 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"It DOES make the files significantly smaller."

That's the smoking gun. It's metadata bloat. This can happen if the file has been copy/pasted a very large number of times. Each copy/paste leaves a metadata record, and it can sometimes grow to enormous proportions.

Export strips metadata. That's why it gets smaller.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 05, 2020 1
New Here ,
Aug 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When using Export will it significantly alter color or quality?  Thanks for the info! 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 21, 2020 0
Aug 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 05, 2020 1
Aug 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PNG files tend to be big as they're not heavily compressed like Jpegs, they can easily be more than 10 MB. File size will always depend on the dimensions of the image, its resolution, and content.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 21, 2020 0
New Here ,
Aug 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Completely understand that. My question, at this point after finding out about Metadata Bloat is will a simple File > Export > PNG cause quality or color loss?  

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 21, 2020 0