Lasso/brush lag (and general sluggishness) in PS 22.0.1

Dec 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

I've just upgraded my trusty MacBook pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2014) to OS Catalina....Since my old Photoshop no longer worked, I upgraded to PS 22.0.1  And....perhaps unsurprisingly...it's a bit sluggish.

Probably lots of other issues to discover, but the main one is the horrible lag when using brushes and lasso tool (which is crucial to my workflow as I use it as a drawing instrument) 

Despite using PS for 20 years I am not very tech savy at all...But I've tried to follow some advice from previous posts...unsucessfully... 

This is kind of a crisis...As I can't make a living without these things working.. Got deadlines coming up...EEEEK! Please help! 

TOPICS
Bug, Mac, Performance, Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Lasso/brush lag (and general sluggishness) in PS 22.0.1

Dec 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

I've just upgraded my trusty MacBook pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2014) to OS Catalina....Since my old Photoshop no longer worked, I upgraded to PS 22.0.1  And....perhaps unsurprisingly...it's a bit sluggish.

Probably lots of other issues to discover, but the main one is the horrible lag when using brushes and lasso tool (which is crucial to my workflow as I use it as a drawing instrument) 

Despite using PS for 20 years I am not very tech savy at all...But I've tried to follow some advice from previous posts...unsucessfully... 

This is kind of a crisis...As I can't make a living without these things working.. Got deadlines coming up...EEEEK! Please help! 

TOPICS
Bug, Mac, Performance, Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Dec 01, 2020 0
Dec 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Check here to see if your mid-2014 MacBook Pro meets the system requirements. Note that minimum and recommended are both listed.

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/system-requirements.html

~ Jane

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 01, 2020 0
Dec 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Jane,

Ok...Like I mentioned I am a bit thick when it comes to understanding how tech works...I think I meet requrements, but unsure about the graphics card stuff.. It says on that list that my computer supports Metal (?) but unsure if I have GPU memory... (This goes way over my head by the way)

Monitor resolution...again.. Not quite sure. Perhaps you can tell from the attached? I'm using a Dell monitor as you can see...I just don't understand what UI scaling means to be honest. 

Hard disk space seems sufficient....

Any ideas/advice?

Thanks, Bjorn

Screenshot 2020-12-01 at 14.22.16.pngScreenshot 2020-12-01 at 14.41.07.png

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 01, 2020 0
Dec 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Problem Fixed!! 

Turned out my Cache levels (prefrences-performance) was set too low... It was on 2 (No idea what that really means) but I changed it to 6 and suddenly there was no lag on brushes and lasso tool.. PS still doesn't feel as stable as it did before..probably other issues I need to deal with, but I'll allow myself to celebrate this tiny victory for now...

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 03, 2020 0
Dec 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ignore previous post. It's back to not working again now... Celebration short lived... Any help appreciated.  

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 03, 2020 0