• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Latest CC update resulted in two Photoshop installations--what's the difference?

Community Beginner ,
Nov 18, 2019 Nov 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just (2019.11.18) updated my Creative Cloud and now I have two versions of Photoshop: one is "Photoshop CC" ver. 20.0.7, and the other is simply "Photoshop" ver. 21.0.1. The PS-CC installation has a logo in a square-cornered box, while the PS-only installation has the logo is a round-cornered box. What's the difference?

Thanks for your help.

--Howard

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Deleted User

Hi

Photoshop 20.0.7 is the previous version of Photoshop and 21.0.1 is the latest release, when updating you are given the option to remove old versions

2019-11-18 16_36_30-Window.png

Some people keep the older version in case of issues with the latest release, you can of course uninstall 20.0.7 with the CC app

2019-11-18 16_39_12-Window.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Photoshop 20.0.7 is the previous version of Photoshop and 21.0.1 is the latest release, when updating you are given the option to remove old versions

2019-11-18 16_36_30-Window.png

Some people keep the older version in case of issues with the latest release, you can of course uninstall 20.0.7 with the CC app

2019-11-18 16_39_12-Window.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 30, 2019 Dec 30, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Dear Adobe,

I am very happy to have found this extremely short thread. I fired up the Creative Cloud updater to discover two identically-named tiles for Photoshop. One had a version listed, one didn't. One had an icon for Desktop and one for Mobile, and the other simply said "New." 

I didn't know which one to use to update what I have rather than being sneakily forced into using the web version that's been pushed so hard by you. The web version simply will not work for my needs, period.

I clicked the graduation hat icon - which, incidentally, is universally used to indicate "tutorials" - and found the information for each tile said basically the same thing. 

I still didn't know which to use to update what I have rather than finding myself with an unwanted move to something wholly different.

I honestly do not understand what is so hard for you about being up front with what is going on. Why are you so completely incapable of putting a small amount of text on each tile to inform your paying customers what each does? Why do people have to either close their eyes and make a random mouse click which they hope doesn't completely foul up their workflow and thus their bread-n-butter, or start searching the forums to find what other people have stumbled upon?

Let me help you.

How about this for one tile:

"This is a minor version update to v20.x.x address the bugs we always, ALWAYS write into our program. This will update the existing version already installed on your machine and does not provide an easy back out should you find your workflow is damaged beyond repair. Click HERE to see what bugs we think we've fixed with this update."

And this for the other:

"This version is an update to v21.x.x. We suggest that since we always, ALWAYS write devastating bugs into our program, that you install this one alongside your existing installation so it is easy to fall back to one that functions as you're currently accustomed. Click HERE to see what's new with this version."

Literally just a few words that concisely tells your paying customers which one to use so they don't have to waste time scrubbing the internet for a simple answer.

Adobe, your customers have been giving you warnings and an alarmingly large number have put you on notice for what comes down to really just one thing: your ongoing lack of Quality Assurance testing with each update you release. The very fact that so many have to post to these forums indicates a second problem: that of simple communication. Your programs are each likely hundreds of thousands of lines of code, and you can't write a block of approximately 60 words (probably less than 40 if you cut out my snark)?

Many months ago, I switched to a competitor's product for managing my images and doing full-image manipulation. I completely migrated my entire catalog, including all my archives, then permanently deleted Lightroom. There have been a small handful of minor updates and a major version update since then. Each one has been clearly labeled for the customers. I have had zero question about what to do and what will happen with each one, and I was able to make an informed decision on when to update. No bugs were written into the new code and the program has operated flawlessly, with clear improvements and a few new features. Please take a moment to contrast that with your programs.

Photoshop's pixel-level manipulation is a bit harder to replace, but I do as much in the new program as possible with the express intent of avoiding PS. When I find a PS replacement, I will do the same program switch. 

This change after nearly 20 years of Photoshop use should be startling to you. Somehow though, you are still doing the same things and continue to not care one iota about your customers. 

JJMack's response below so casually points out that all new versions of PS has new bugs. Have you compared his post with ones from 6 months ago? a year ago? The change from "supportive denial" to "casual acceptance" is clear as day. (I have nothing against JJMack - in fact, he is incredibly helpful)

It's so sad: you're losing customers hand over foot, and yet a mere 40-ish words and a tiny amount of caring about your customers could make such a difference...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You should not uninstall CC 2019 till you have tested Photoshop 2020 works for you without problems.  All new version of Photoshop have new bugs. It depends on how you use photoshop which bugs may be triggered to bite.  Some users may never be bitten with how they use Photoshop. Most users only use some Photoshop features. There are many I do not use line CMYK, spot channels, Artboards, Frame tool, Adobe libraries, etc.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines