Latest Photoshop 2021 Crashes Constantly on Windows 10

New Here ,
Dec 04, 2020 Dec 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The latest Photoshop 2021 just installed and after the install, I cannot open any .jpg files and cannot do my work.  It continually crashes.  I'm on PC, Win 10.

{Thread title edited by moderator}

TOPICS
Crash or freeze, Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

We're sorry about the trouble with Photoshop. Please ensure you have the correct drivers/firmware installed for your computers hardware along with the latest Windows 10 updates. Have you tried to re-install the apps to check if that helps?

Please try disabling the option to Use Graphics Processor from Photoshop by going to the Preferences, then Performance. Once done, relaunch Photoshop to check if it helps. If it does, please try: https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/troubleshoot-gpu-graphics-card.html

You can try to reset the preferences of Photoshop using the steps mentioned here: https://adobe.ly/2Qzc0K3

Please backup your settings prior to resetting the preferences. You can check: https://adobe.ly/2vNz6FG

Let us know if it helps!

Regards,

Nikunj

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've tried all of this and spent 2 hours on adobe help with someone controlling my computer.  It is still not working with updated graphic drivers, win 10 updates, and resetting photoshop to  default, removing all of my previous workspace set up.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Dec 07, 2020 Dec 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We're sorry that the issue persists. Did the app work with the option to Use graphics porcessor disabled?

You can try creating a new user account on your computer to check if you experience the same behavior. You can check the steps here: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/create-a-local-user-or-administrator-account-in-windows-...

Let us know how it goes!

Regards, 

Nikunj

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 08, 2021 Apr 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My Photoshop 2021 (fully up todate) started freezing as soon as I attempted to do any edits of photos. Read your item and did the exact reverse .. I re-enabled Use Graphics Processor and restarted PS and it all worked!

PC is on Win 10 fully up todate.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Go to Camera Raw preferences and disable the GPU there. Not Photoshop preferences.

Either Photoshop > Edit > Preferences > Camera Raw, or Bridge > Edit > Camera Raw preferences.

By default jpegs/TIFFs that have previously been edited in Camera Raw (ACR) will continue to open through ACR. That's probably where the crash happens (if it's only jpeg/TIFF). If you don't want that, but always open jpegs directly into Photoshop, disable jpeg support in ACR preferences.

Note that this doesn't solve the problem. You still have a buggy video driver. But this should let you work for now.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been having the same issues on my iMac running OS14-Big Sur for the past 3 days. PS crashes after opening RAW or JPG images.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

...and the answer is the same as above. What happens if you try that?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Changed setting to open JPG's directly to PS2021. Bridge 2021 remains open because ACR is now bypassed, right? I prefer to start image processing in RAW, so this mod is doing nothing for me. But will this help you troubleshoot the problem in Bridge?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I changed the seteting back to default. The JPG opens in ACR & Bridge immediately crashed again.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tried once again. Opened a RAW file in ACR via Bridge2021. Made one adjustment. After a 2nd adjustment attempt, ACR (Bridge) crashed again. It appears ACR is not available for any kind of use. Hope this helps.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Correction: iMac running OS 11.0.1 Big Sur. Problem started when PS2020 was upgraded to PS2021 3 days ago automatically via Creative Cloud. When the upgrade was available, PS2020 could not even be opened, forcing the upgrade to happen.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you also try to disable GPU in ACR preferences?

This is very clearly a video driver issue. Unfortunately the video driver on MacOS is integrated into the operating system, so you'll have to wait for an OS update.

New Photoshop / ACR versions keep adding GPU-driven new features and functions, so that can expose latent bugs that were in fact there the whole time.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What are the chances of loading Bridge2020/PS2020 back into my Mac? Not sure why I was even "forced" into the new upgrade without being given an option.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So can PS2020 & Bridge2020 be reinstalled? Has any of my input to you been helpful?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're not answering the question: did you try to disable the GPU in ACR preferences?

Reinstalling won't do anything if the problem is in the video driver. If disabling the GPU stops the crashing, then you know the problem is with the video driver.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 08, 2020 Dec 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I  just worked with Adobe support (Ekta) for an hour or so. She found errors in the Adobe product & fixed those via CC Cleaner Tool. She then deleted the APPs & we reinstalled them. As we were about to download again, I noticed that NEW versions were now available. The new versions were installed & so far I have seen NO CRASHES!  FYI...My MacOS has remained the same. Take a hint:  The last thing to happen before a problem is useually the first thing to question. Having worked in IT for 30 yrs is why I posed the question to you in the first place. Hope this info helps you in the future.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 08, 2020 Dec 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Its never Adobes fault, they push out a new update that barely runs and somehow its always our fault. So sick of it. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 08, 2021 Apr 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

See my note just pasted .. I re-enabled the Use Graphics Processor and restarted PS and it all worked.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines