• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Latest version 22.3 won´t let me save or save as. It can´t find the file

Explorer ,
Mar 13, 2021 Mar 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since the latest update, I am unable to "save" or "save as" a file.  I keep getting the message "Could not save "(name of the file.jpg)" because the file could not be found".  I opened the file with the "open" button.  I´ve tried dragging and dropping.  I have tried uninstalling/installing.  Tried opening through Creative Cloud and directly.  I have tried different files from different locations.

Tried resetting Photoshop preferences to default settings.

My software is Adobe Photoshop Version: 22.3.0 20210302.r.49 660cd2e x64.

My notebook is Operating System: Windows 10 64-bit.  Version: 10 or greater 10.0.18362.1350

Thanks for any solution.  I´m stopped with my work!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Advocate ,
Mar 14, 2021 Mar 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried changing the name of the file?

Make sure there arent any weord characters in the file name

Can you try saving to a higher lever in the drive, i.e. rather than save to your docs or desktop etc, can you save directly to the C drive or as close to that top level as you have access?
Can you try saving to a USB drive? just incase it is a permissions issue.

Can you make a new file same size, and copy paste, or drag layers holding the shift key from one doc to the other, then save that newly formed file?

can you 'export it' if save wont work, at least so you'd have something to show for your efforts? if all else fails, you can zoom to 100% and screen grab the doc, or layers etc to help speeed you along to a new file later. you may have to pan aroudn the image at 100% scale to get screen grabs of everything to patch back togetehr in the new image.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried changing the name of the file.  In fact, I got files which I had worked on previously many months ago.  No weird characters on any of the files.  Didn´t help.

“Can you try saving to a higher lever in the drive, i.e. rather than save to your docs or desktop etc, can you save directly to the C drive or as close to that top level as you have access?”  I wasn´t able to save directly under C: but just under C: I had a folder called Apps – and I was able to save in this folder!

“Can you try saving to a USB drive? just in case it is a permissions issue.”  I put a pendrive and it saved on it also!

What does this mean?  Is there a solution?  Can you please help me fix this to work as before?

Thank you in advance

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok great that you were able to save it at least. I'm a Mac man mainly but I think the issue is essentially the same in that your permissions (or photoshops) to access the location you are trying to is not right. On a Mac you just need to select the folder or drive and make sure that permissions are correct for the user and apply to 'enclosed items' to add that permission to all the files and folders within it. I'm bit sure what the pc equivalent is. Id guess the easiest way to fix it may just be to uninstall photoshop and then reinstall it. Or if it's not a big effort try setting up a new user account on your computer and see if that acccount works ok with fresh settings for disk access etc. Also you could try launching photoshop by right clicking on the icon and 'run as administrator' see if that makes a difference (this may not even be a thing anymore sorry but used to help with some apps I had on pc).

failing that start Googling for windows file save permissions etc see if there are some fixes to try. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How do you "make sure that permissions are correct for the user and apply to 'enclosed items' to add that permission to all the files and folders within it"?  Maybe I could use the same logic on the PC.

One of the first things I did was uninstall PS.

Thanks for your help.  At least I´m able to save the work, which already helps a lot!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The strange thing is that PS doesn´t find the file I want to save on the same path where I got it from!  Also, it doesn´t find the file I want to "save as"!  What does it have to find if I haven´t saved it yet?

That is the strange thing about it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It tells me "File not found. Check file name and try again."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry I can t really help any more, you'll need to hope someone Windows savvy has got ideas. Did you try a new user account ? 

FYI. you probably won't get much more help on this thread now as you've marked your own reply as the correct answer so it will look like it's dealt with. 

good luck. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 15, 2021 Mar 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you press the wrong button by chance, there´s nothing you can do to fix it.  I will open a new thread.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 21, 2021 Mar 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just to let the community know, after about 6 days of just pondering what I should do to fix it or to live with it, I tried out PS and to my surprise, it just worked again.  My PS was "saving" and "saving as" just as if nothing had been wrong with it.  I´ll never know what happened.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 21, 2021 Mar 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are some obvious bugs in 22.3 I believe relating to the graphics card.  Adobe please advise.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 22, 2022 Aug 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm caught up with a similar condition.  It gets to a point where it no longer will "save as".  Now, since it's the third time recently, I tried to just save the file (CR2 RAW File edited), but once I click the "save" splash in the middle of the screen, it just does nothing.

It takes me twice the amount of time to do everything all over again after shutting down and rebooting...and this is not a normal function, especially for a leading software company like Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 23, 2022 Aug 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I believe the ability "save as" is a switchable option in Photoshop's preferences.

You want the legacy "Save As" file handling Preference

PS save as preference.png

I hope this helps
neil barstow, colourmanagement net :: adobe forum volunteer:: co-author: 'getting colour right'
google me "neil barstow colourmanagement" for lots of free articles on colour management

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 29, 2022 Aug 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Fmerz,

I had this same problem in the past as you may have seen.  My setup was to have LR data in my "D Data" which was a 1 Tb HD in my notebook just to store data.  Programs and startup were in my "C Local Drive" which was a SSD card.
The only way I was able to resolve the issue was to transfer saving into the SSD card.  Due to space, I then manually moved the data to the D drive.
Soon after I changed my SSD card to a bigger storage capacity and had to format the notebook.  Then I haven´t had a problem since.
But Adobe technicians and the forum weren´t able to find a solution for the problem.

Sorry not to help,
Ralph

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 29, 2022 Aug 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Ralph,

Thank you for your input.

That might be my problem as well. Due to COVID still being around where I live, I have found that I may have to pack all my stuff up at work and take it home to work from there.
So, I had transferred all my data that I was storing on the C Drive onto an external drive so that I didn't have to wait several hours for the data transfer.

I'll try to go back to working with minimal projects on the C drive in order for transfer to go faster if I have to take it home, again.

Thanks, again.

Frederick Merz

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines