• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Layer changes color when moved to another doc.

Contributor ,
Dec 08, 2020 Dec 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Updated to the latest (22.1.0) today and now have another issue.  Dragging a layer from one doc to another changes the color.  See attached.  I have tried different layers to different docs with same results!!!!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are the documents being edited in the samet Color space like sRGB or Adobe RGB or ProPhoto RGB?

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Dec 09, 2020 Dec 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same color space, 16/RGB.  Never had this isuue until today.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Several ways to break color management come together here.

Windows "Photos" does not support color management at all, and will ignore all document color profiles as well as your monitor profile. It will never display correctly, ever, under any circumstances.

You have a ProPhoto file in Photoshop, and you are dragging an untagged image onto it, one that doesn't have a profile at all. If the profile had been embedded, it would have been converted on pasting. But that doesn't happen when there is no profile.

ProPhoto is a very dangerous color space to use unless you take a lot of precautions. It's for highly experienced users, not for beginners. It absolutely requires full color management at all times.

• don't rely on Windows "Photos" for accurate colors
  • always keep track of your color profiles and always make sure the profile is embedded
  • avoid ProPhoto until you understand the implications of using such an extremely large color space

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Images are 16bit/RGB/  The windows Photos was used to make a screen copy of what was going on- rather than posting two seperate images from PS.  All images are   stricly worked on from LR to PS. I started a fresh psd doc and the same results.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's still a ProPhoto image treated without proper color management. You still have an untagged file somewhere in this mix. My post still applies.

This is what c.p. requests, and I do too:

notification_2.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please set the Status Bar to »Document Profile« and post more meaningful screenshots including the Layer Panel etc. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So, Reset PS, nothing still same. Uninstalled and re-installed.  Images are in ProPhoto as I use.  Now, PS will n ot let me save, see attached.  Adobe Error.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Where is the other window in which the image looked different? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you look at the image in the first part when I started this post you can see the color difference.  It appears that whatever the issue with PS after the update, not seeing the color space, ProPhoto RGB.  Same images now show correclty, just now will not let me save work.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"It appears that whatever the issue with PS after the update, not seeing the color space, ProPhoto RGB"

And the explanation for that is still the same as it has been the whole time: An untagged file with no embedded profile, or an application without color management support at all (Photos). Either way, the net result is the same.

Observe proper color management procedure and this will not happen. Make sure the profile is always embedded, and use applications that will actually read it. That's all you need to do.

And again, until you get more experience, don't use ProPhoto. You really need to be aware of all the implications, and take all the necessary precautions. In this case ProPhoto is clearly not needed. You should only use ProPhoto when you have extremely saturated colors that you need to preserve for further editing. If you don't have that, the disadvantages far outweigh the advantages (if indeed there are any).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you.  For whatever reason PS did not get the color profile correct, they were there later after I re-installed.  I also went back to the backup and checked the psd's and they were correct as well. Shame on PS. In a similar weird experience, which I posted about, the previous update left all my psd's without the layers! Again, thankfully for backups, I restored all the psd's without a loss....only the time.  I'm getting a little shy about the updates...

I have used PS for several years, always in Pro Photo and export when needed in sRGB.  I prefer the gamut that is offered.  I know some suggest just work in sRGD from the camera  andall they way through the workflow. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

»For whatever reason PS did not get the color profile correct,«

What were the Edit > Color Settings? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines