• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Layer groups will not collapse.

Explorer ,
Mar 22, 2019 Mar 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I've uploaded the latest version of Photoshop CC and am going though it to refresh my skills.  I cannot figure out how to collapse the layers.  I will group 10 layers and create a new group from layers, which it does.  But the arrow icon to close or open the layer has no effect.  They remain open.  I click on the arrow to close the layer group and nothing at all happens. Very frustrating.  Is this a bug?  I've read all I can, but it simply doesn't function.  I turn off "auto select" and turn on "group" - and the group will move together.  But in the layer's panel, all layers remain open so what's the point of consolidating them to make the layer panel manageable?  It's not if this feature is missing.  Thanks for any clue you can give me.

Regards,

Darlene Seale

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Mar 22, 2019 Mar 22, 2019

Have you tried resetting the preferences? This will often fix things when Photoshop just starts acting weird.

Preferences in Photoshop

"Press and hold Alt+Control+Shift (Windows) or Option+Command+Shift (Mac OS) as you start Photoshop. You are prompted to delete the current settings. The new preferences files are created the next time you start Photoshop."

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, SORRY - I think I figured this out.  I have to select all the layers first, then click on the bottom folder for "new group" and it all collapses into that group.  Duh?  Re-learning photoshop after using Illustrator is quite a frustrating process, but I answered my own question.  Thanks for "intending" to respond with help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 05, 2022 Mar 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi darleneseale, I just update photoshop to cs6, and I'm having the same issue that you had a few years ago.  I added layers into a group folder, but it won't collapse. I don't understand your solution. I started over, and selected the layers, and with them highlighted (holding down the control button) I click on the "create a new group button". But the layers are do not go into the group folder. Could you please explain you solution with a little more detail? I'd really appreciate it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried resetting the preferences? This will often fix things when Photoshop just starts acting weird.

Preferences in Photoshop

"Press and hold Alt+Control+Shift (Windows) or Option+Command+Shift (Mac OS) as you start Photoshop. You are prompted to delete the current settings. The new preferences files are created the next time you start Photoshop."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

THANKS Michael - I had to reset "ME" because I just forgot how to do this.  I finally figured it out - see above.  I wish Photoshop and Illustrator had more similar methods but they just don't and so that's the way it goes - makes learning a bit harder, but it will all come back to me.  Thanks again for responding! I appreciate it very much,

Regards,

Darlene Seale

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Darlene. You can't be too slow as you managed to solve your problem in the time it took me to write my reply

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 22, 2023 Jun 22, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey there,
Its actually on the select meu, deselect isolate layers and your group will collapse.

Thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 06, 2024 Apr 06, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Oh my God. Adobe sucks. It sucks so bad that this is the industry standard across all employers and we have to deal with this. I wish employers would wake up and see that Adobe is not the industry standard. We need to move away from this garbage!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines