• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Layer Mask/ Brush is not working properly. Issue painting over black in a layer mask.

Community Beginner ,
Apr 07, 2021 Apr 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My brush will not paint over black with white in my layer mask. I have checked the layer blend mode and is it set to the default 'normal', I have also reset my colors to default by tapping the 'D' key. I can draw in black and greys but not pure white. None of these will stack, once there is black you cannot make it any lighter.  I am running Adobe Photoshop version: 22.3.0 on windows 10. I don't think this is an issue with my hardware I think this is a problem with photoshop. Please help. Thank you.

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Apr 08, 2021 Apr 08, 2021

I'm glad it's fixed, but if it does happen again, look at the options bar for the Brush tool, as you may have done a keyboard shortcut to change the settings.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Apr 07, 2021 Apr 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you post some screenshot with Layers panel visible?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 08, 2021 Apr 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

defaultqn74jkpjo78x_0-1617890217418.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Brush opacity?
Brush Flow?

Is there an active selection (Ctrl d to turn it off)

Try Alt (opt) clicking the layer mask to view it full screen.  You'll get a better idea of what is happening.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My Flow and opacity are both at 100%. No active selections are made. I made a new document to see if it was just that particular document but the problem remains.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @defaultqn74jkpjo78x 

Can you show the options bar for your Brush tool? You didn't say if you checked the blend mode and opacity there. You can also try resetting the Brush tool: right-click the Brush in the options bar (not Tools panel) and Reset Tool.

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tryed before to reset the perferance file and that did not resolved the issue. I went ahead and uninstalled and reinstalled photohop, and this seems to have fixed the issue. Thank you for all the help you have provided. This really is an odd problem. Ordinarily I would wait to resolve the issue naturally so any other users might glean some insight into and similar problems. However I have a project on a closing deadline, so I couldn't wait anylonger. I will return to this forum if this issue returns. Thank you all again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm glad it's fixed, but if it does happen again, look at the options bar for the Brush tool, as you may have done a keyboard shortcut to change the settings.

My guess is that it was a Blending mode for the Brush tool.

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Alright. I will keep this is mind if this ever happends again. Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're welcome!

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 22, 2023 May 22, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

For me what i noticed was that i accidentally pressed a shortcut key that changed my brush blend mode...with your brush selected go to the top left bar and make sure your blend "mode" is set to normal

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines