Highlighted

Layer mask not working in Photoshop on macOS High Sierra 10.13.6

New Here ,
Oct 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I selected an area on my layer that I wanted to mask and clicked the icon at the bottom of the layers palette to mask the selection and it masked most of the area but not all of it. It's the only layer I have in the document, so it's not showing imagery from any layers beneath it. Since I couldn't get this to work, I created a work-around but now I'd really like to use the brush tool to do some more masking and that's not working either. I can see my brushstrokes masking the area in the thumbnail in the layers palette, but it isn't having any effect in the actual document. Photoshop is up-to-date on my iMac, OS High Sierra Version 10.13.6. Does anyone have any ideas?

{Thread renamed by moderator}

TOPICS
Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Layer mask not working in Photoshop on macOS High Sierra 10.13.6

New Here ,
Oct 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I selected an area on my layer that I wanted to mask and clicked the icon at the bottom of the layers palette to mask the selection and it masked most of the area but not all of it. It's the only layer I have in the document, so it's not showing imagery from any layers beneath it. Since I couldn't get this to work, I created a work-around but now I'd really like to use the brush tool to do some more masking and that's not working either. I can see my brushstrokes masking the area in the thumbnail in the layers palette, but it isn't having any effect in the actual document. Photoshop is up-to-date on my iMac, OS High Sierra Version 10.13.6. Does anyone have any ideas?

{Thread renamed by moderator}

TOPICS
Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Oct 15, 2020 0
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Sorry to hear about this. Could you please try deselecting "Use Graphics Processor" located in Photoshop's Preferences > Performance, then relaunch Photoshop and let us know if it helps?

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/troubleshoot-gpu-graphics-card.html

Regards,
Sahil

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 16, 2020 0
New Here ,
Oct 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, Sahil!

I saw that you had suggested this to someone else experiencing issues with Photoshop, so I already tried it and it didn't make a difference, unfortunately. Just tried it again for good measure with no success.

I noticed that the mask works normally if I make the background transparent. It's only being weird on a white background. 

I tested with other files and am seeing the same issue with all of them. I've refreshed my tools and even restored my workspace and masking is still not working.

Any other ideas?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 16, 2020 0