• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Layer mask not working (weaving text)

Community Beginner ,
May 09, 2021 May 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After learning about layer masks and the cool feature of weaving cursive font around block fonts, I started working on a couple practice images (shown below).
Screen Shot 2021-05-09 at 12.49.30 PM.png

I was able to do it twice, and then suddenly my layer masks stopped working as they should. 

I followed the same tutorials, did the same steps, but am NOT getting the same results. 

Now it's just painting black or white, instead of removing or revealing parts of the image below the layer mask. At some times, the pain brush does nothing. (Note the "N" below)

Screen Shot 2021-05-09 at 12.51.13 PM.png

I have spent 2 hours trouble shooting with different Youtube videos, and am completely stumped.

What I have tried:
- Reseting tools/preferences 
- Quitting + Restarting Photoshop + my computer 
- Double clicking "quick mask" areas an ensuring "masked areas" is selected 

Screen Shot 2021-05-09 at 12.54.13 PM.png

Ironically, this is only my second day of owning photoshop, so I wonder if there is a very obvious user error that I am unaware of.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , May 09, 2021 May 09, 2021

Look at the highlighted icon in the layers panel of your screenshot for the layer labelled "storm". The highlighting around the rectangle icons shows you have the layer istelf selected (the left rectangle) rather than the layer mask (the right rectangle). So you are painting on the image itself rather than the mask.

Just click on the right rectangle to select the mask and then brush on the image with black to hide and white to reveal.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Look at the highlighted icon in the layers panel of your screenshot for the layer labelled "storm". The highlighting around the rectangle icons shows you have the layer istelf selected (the left rectangle) rather than the layer mask (the right rectangle). So you are painting on the image itself rather than the mask.

Just click on the right rectangle to select the mask and then brush on the image with black to hide and white to reveal.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Ohhhh jeeze - it's that easy, huh? Yep, a rookie error! 

Thanks so much for your help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines