• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Layer Mask Timeline Animation - not possible?

Community Beginner ,
Jun 14, 2019 Jun 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been trying to animate the mask of a layer in Photoshop to create a slightly more interesting reveal of text, as per dozens of tutorials (not least Adobe's own), but no matter what I do, the keyframing doesn't work - is this now not a feature of Photoshop animation?

When I add a keyframe & move the mask, the position is the same across the timeline, instead of changing over time -the keyframe indicator for the first frame changes to the half-filled marker, instead of staying open.

Capture.JPG

Any reason why I might be getting this really annoying behaviour?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Jun 14, 2019 Jun 14, 2019

Thanks for the suggestion, as I was working with text I'd not tried converting it to a smart object layer.

I think I've found the solution I was looking for by using a vector mask rather than the pixel layer masking I had been attempting to animate with. It's curious that I can't get it to work with pixel layer masks, but at least I am able to animate in the way I'd intended!

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you sure that you broke the link between the layer and the layer mask ?

123.JPG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yep. The mask isn't animating, the layer is staying where it's supposed to be

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are sure also that you are selecting the mask not the layer when you change the position ?

123.JPG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What OS and PS version are you using.  Here is what I see usinf Windows  10 CC 2019

LO2G5037.gif

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using Win 10 with latest version of Photoshop 20.0.4 and I'd LOVE to be getting that result, but it's just not happening.

Omar.Fathy​ - Thanks for checking, yes - I'm definitely selecting the mask. The mask moves where I want it to, but it doesn't animate between frames, no matter what I do it stays in the last position I moved it to across all frames.

Thanks,

Amir

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you provide a screenshot for the layer panel ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Capture.JPG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is your layer a smart object layer? I always animate smart object layers in a video timeline. Even Video cans be masked when its a smart object layer.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the suggestion, as I was working with text I'd not tried converting it to a smart object layer.

I think I've found the solution I was looking for by using a vector mask rather than the pixel layer masking I had been attempting to animate with. It's curious that I can't get it to work with pixel layer masks, but at least I am able to animate in the way I'd intended!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 15, 2019 Jun 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had no problem using a pixels layer mask with a smart object text layer or text layer are you sure you unlinked the layer mask????????

text.gif

TextLayer.gif

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 21, 2020 Nov 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jumping in late to this conversation and learning a lot - can I ask is this the same affect used for filling a moving shape with the background of the image it inside?

See clip. https://www.instagram.com/p/CHwMturnrTQ/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link 

I have no idea where to get started!

Thanks,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 26, 2019 Nov 26, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey everyone, i've been having the same trouble and it's very annoying. Vector masks don't work eiter. Do you have any idea why? I'm guessing it's a bug, maybe? because it should work even with a text layer and a pixel mask.

I'm using Mac and Photoshop 2020

Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 15, 2020 Apr 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had exactly the same problem and it was driving me insane!

SOLUTION: while moving raster mask DON'T use Ctrl-T (transform), just use V key and move. It seems, PS is interpering it differently. This solved the issue for me! 

For developers: please correct the issue! (my ver. 20.0.6)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 15, 2020 Apr 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, Tony, the developpers only fix the current version, 21.X.X did you try with that version to reproduce your issue?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 24, 2020 Apr 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Tonny, that's what solved it actually. Thank you very much!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 16, 2021 Mar 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Tonny! Thank you for the solution you provided. While it still annoys me when I'm trying to scale the mask rather than just simply move it. Do you know how to solve this problem? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Apr 23, 2021 Apr 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Going to float this issue back to the top... !

Same for me - I'm unable to scale layer masks, I can only move them from one layer mask position to another.

What's the trick if you wanted to say scale a small circle to a large one as a layer mask to reveal a photo underneath?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 03, 2021 Oct 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you so much ..it really helpend me alot.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines