Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Layer overlay in PS not showing.

Contributor ,
Jun 05, 2019 Jun 05, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All,

I have found this discussion Layer mask overlay shortcut not working  and posted my question there, but I am not receiving any feedback, so decided to raise a new discussion.

My question :

I am having an issues with displaying layer overlay, as I am working on a WIN10, PS CC machine, but I am based in Belgium (and using azerty keyboard) and therefor, I cannot reach the \ shortcut.  For me, that is ALT GR+<, which PS does not recognize.  It is driving me crazy! I have read the article above and understand the menu shortcut is hidden (that is why I have just spent the last hour searching for it in vain, before I found this article).

I have also had to change "change brush size" in order to use my wacom intuos pro tablet some years ago (from "[" or "{" and "]" or "}" to "(" and ")". Does someone know how I can display the mask overlay (in ruby red, as Adobe calls it) for my machine?  Reading the above, I don't fancy changing my keyboard just for PS and having to change it afterwards every time, as I often switch between browsing, emails, PS and LR.

Thank you in advance!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jun 06, 2019 Jun 06, 2019

The manual way of showing the rubylith of the layer mask is to toggle on/off the eye next to the layer mask in the Channels panel, which can be recorded in an action.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Jun 06, 2019 Jun 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

RobertSmits

I have zero experience with that sort of keyboard, but I am wondering if you can commit those key stokes to an Action?  You can trigger the action with one of the Function keys. [EDIT — I tried and failed]

Keyboard shortcuts on azerty

I have no idea what language this is, but you can load it into a translator

Q Photoshop shortcuts en Azerty keyboard

This might be coming from the other direction

French AZERTY Keyboard Cover for all Mac Keyboards

OK from what I read, you might be able to fix it by using the US International keyboard setting.  On Win10 that gives you a second keyboard in the status bar, so it 'might' be doable, but still a 'douleur dans le cul' no doubt.

There are lots of gaming key pads available now.  I have, but don't use, a Razer Orbweaver.  What I do use are the G keys on a gaming keyboard, but I suspect that might be a problem with an AZERTY configuration.  I found AZERTY gaming keyboards, but not one with programmable keys.

Another thought is to use the Windows Alt codes

You know the...

Alt 0176 = °

Alt 0151 = —

Alt 0163 = £

Alt 0128 = €

The alt code for \ is Alt 092 (hold down the Alt key and type '092'

Alt 091 = [

Alt 093 = ]

I use these all the time, and have a few programmed into G-keys (Corsair K95 — I was using a Logitech G910 but couldn't stop it typing double spaces)

This is not directly helpful  AFAICT.  I was not able to commit an Alt code to an Action.  It is a trivial thing to do so with programmable G-keys though (those key pads above will probably all have programmable keys — the two Razer pads definitely do, and so does the Corsair.  Check out Corsair iCUE, and Razer Syntax.  Logitech now uses H-Hub which works well and is probably my favourite, but the hardware lets it down)

Please let us know how you get on.  This could help other people going forward.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Trevor,

Thanks a lot for your detailed explanation, which was really helpful.  However, I didn't manage to get it going in the right way.  ALT+092 (ALT92 works the same by the way), is not programmable - I have tried to do it in my Wacom tablet, but it did not work.  I have been working with the Belgian keyboard system and the US (qwerty keyboard), which did work, but as I am constantly working on images in LR, PS and sometimes mails and browsing in between, it doesn't really make sense for me to change keyboards all the time (I can type blind on qwerty too), but when the "wrong" keys are in front of you, you often type the wrong stuff, which doesn't really help me...

https://www.9lives.be/forum/graphics-art-design/1121373-photoshop-shortcuts-en-azerty-keyboard.html

Thank you for this link - but they actually bought a qwety keyboard to get out of all the issues they were having - not really a solution from my point of view.

The link for the French overlay doesn't really help me any further either...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The manual way of showing the rubylith of the layer mask is to toggle on/off the eye next to the layer mask in the Channels panel, which can be recorded in an action.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks a lot Jeff, I have now assigned actions to show and hide the Channel layer on off - I didn't know that, so thanks for that.  I just have two assigned actions (on for showing, another for hiding).  But it would be good if Adobe would fix the issue - or at least make the key assignable.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Bugs/Feature Request can be posted here

Photoshop | Photoshop Family Customer Community

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Done! Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines