• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Layer Panel keeps collapsing on its own??

Community Beginner ,
Jan 12, 2020 Jan 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've just recently switched over to CC from CS6, so I'm still wonky on a few things regarding CC. One thing that especially bothers me is that I usually have the brush, color and layer tab opened and docked at all times. But when I switch between the Color and Swatches tab in my tab group, the Layer panel suddenly collapses completely unprompted!!

I'd have to click on it again to maximize it again, this didn't happen in CS6 and I wanna know if this is fixable or not cause I don't want to have to physically reopen the Layer tab every single time I switch between Color and Swatches Tab. Please help me!!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Is this option enabled in preferences by any chance

2020-01-12 14_24_28-Adobe Photoshop 2020.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 13, 2020 Jan 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I checked and it isn't :'((((

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you post screnshot with problem visible?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Capture.PNG

This is how I rearranged after getting CC, both Layer and Brush panel opened.

Capture2.PNG

But when I switch to the Swatches tab, as you can see, the Layer panel has collapsed.

Something I also realized after posting the question is that in while the Swatches tab is active, the Brush and Layer panel can't be opened at the same time. If I click on the Layer panel again after it collapses, it would open the Layer tab AND collapse the Brush panel, and vice versa. This is really annoying and if you can help me, that'd be awesome, thank you!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi June

Ged has mentioned one issue it might be. Since it happens when you switch between Color and Swatches, a second possiblity is the there is not room (heightwise) to display all of your panels, and one of those two is longer than the other — forcing the bottom group to collapse.

• You can reallocate space between the groups by dragging
  • You can move some panels to a second Dock
  • Double-click the title bar to maximize/minimize a panel
  • Run PS full screen if it is not. If you have a small monitor, you have to make adjustments.

If we are both wrong, post a screen shot.

~ Jane

1.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Jane, but I'm sure I've made appropriate readjustments to the size of the panels to comfortably fit them all. I don't know if I'd need to do something to make it stay that way or if that's just how it is.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi June,

You're welcome. When you switch from Color to Swatches and they are different sizes, the panels that are underneath will adjust automatically.

One thing I can think of that might help is to rearrange the panels and save a new workspace. Here's what I did, although you might want to modify it to work best for you:

• Drag the Swatches panel to the same Dock as History
  • Resize Swatches to the desired height
  • Close the Swatches panel as in the screen shot on the left
  • Create and name a new workspace using the Workspace Switcher or Window > Workspace > New Workspace
  • Click Swatch icon to expand or collapse the panel. Your Layers panel should stop collapsing.

You might prefer other arrangements of your panels. This Help files tells you how to move and arrange panels and create custom workspaces.

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/workspace-basics.html

~ Jane

1.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you can not manually reallocate space to make things work when switching between panels then there isn't anything hiden in peferences that can help you. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 11, 2020 May 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know if you found a solution but I have had the same problem irritating me for a long time.
Right click the Layers tab while it is collapsed/minimised and hit Expand Panel. You never find it because you probably try finding the setting AFTER you have expanded it like I did; so if its expanded, hit Minimize, and then Expand Panel afterwards. I assume it will keep after you save workspace but no promises.

Pi_0-1589252753733.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 25, 2020 Aug 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm wondering whether there's new information on this subject.  My layers panel frequently auto-collapses as well.  Also, Photoshop always launches with the layers panel collapsed.  While it is a minor issue to bring the panel back (I just click it), it's still an irritant.  I want photoshop to launch the way I like using it.

Thank you,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 30, 2020 Oct 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, I've been having this problem too. Today I came up with a workaround by resetting the workspace every time you start. To do this first save your workspace with the Layers panel open, then open up Actions window, create a new Action, reset the workspace, open up Actions window again and stop the recording.

undefinist_0-1604120080332.png

Then go to File > Scripts > Script Events Manager, tick the checkbox Enable Events to Run Scripts/Actions. On the bottom set Photoshop Event to Start Application, and set the Action to Reset Workspace (the one you just made), and hit Add.

undefinist_1-1604120131855.png

Note that if you shift your workspace around you'll need to save the workspace again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
May 18, 2021 May 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is definitely still a problem in the newest form(s) of Photoshop (up to 22.4.0 now). Undefinist's information helped me workaround (had to make a new workspace, as this issue was happening with my new ones, too), but as they stated, this is a workaround instead of an actual solution.

Without the new saved workspace, my Layers panel constantly collapses - this was in the previous version of Photoshop and the newest. I've made sure Auto-Collapse is unchecked (even checked and unchecked it again just in case). I only have one other panel open at this time which only takes about 1/3 of the height - I typically have 3 panels open at a time on the right hand side, meaning the Layers palette has double the space it usually does and is still collapsing. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
May 18, 2021 May 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

EDIT: literally half an hour later and the panel is auto-collapsing again, despite a new workspace being active. So frustrating! It also occasionally shows no layers when it's open, requiring me to collapse and open it again to see the layers in my file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 14, 2021 Sep 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have no idea if this will work for you but pressing f8 fixed my problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 14, 2021 Sep 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@watt_kristin wrote:

I have no idea if this will work for you but pressing f8 fixed my problem.

Hi

What was your problem and how did hiding or showing the Info panel solve it?

Result

Windows

Mac OS

Show/Hide Info panel

F8

F8

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop-elements/using/keys-showing-or-hiding-panels.html

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 18, 2021 Jul 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yep. Still a major irritant 18 months later. I like to keep Brushes, Brush Settings, and Color all in one big stack. There is more than enough room for this to fit. Photoshop seems absolutely fixated on closing the Brush Settings tab in particular, sometimes upon opening the program, sometimes upon moving things.

If I try to re-expand, Photoshop will consistently close another tab to ensure that I'm never allowed to see more than two tabs at once. Sometimes, comically, as it forces the Hue cube to expand until it's 60% of the entire monitor height. 
Seemingly *anything* to prevent me from ever seeing 3 tabs at once. 
Auto-collapse in unchecked. 
Then sometimes, It works fine and does what I want, 3 nice tabs, stacked whee I put them, for no apparent reason.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 18, 2021 Jul 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yep. Still a major irritant 18 months later. I like to keep Brushes, Brush Settings, and Color all in one big stack. There is more than enough room for this to fit. Photoshop seems absolutely fixated on closing the Brush Settings tab in particular, sometimes upon opening the program, sometimes upon moving things.

If I try to re-expand, Photoshop will consistently close another tab to ensure that I'm never allowed to see more than two tabs at once. Sometimes, comically, as it forces the Hue cube to expand until it's 60% of the entire monitor height. 
Seemingly *anything* to prevent me from ever seeing 3 tabs at once. 
Auto-collapse in unchecked. 
Then sometimes, It works fine and does what I want, 3 nice tabs, stacked whee I put them, for no apparent reason.

By @defaultti73crxpt6c4

It would be much better if you started a new thread.  You's might be a completely different issue, and it can get confusing while trying to track down what is happening in your case. 

Whether you start a new thread or not, can you tell us what operating system you are using, and are you using the latest version of Photoshop?

Are you using just the one screen? What is the pixel resolution of your screen(s)

Have you created one or more custom workspaces?

Do you use the Function keys to open and close the primary panels? It sounds like you have plenty of screen space — I've always assumed that the Function shortcuts are for small notebooks where screen space is limited, and you need to toggle screens open and closed.

image.png

With the above in mind, those Function keys are are solid gold and if you don't use their defualt functions, they can be used as single key triggers for Actions.  I personally use some of them to select and reset custom workspaces.

Another huge benefit of custom workspaces is that you can save custom shortcuts, and custom toolbar settings.  That means you can 'borrow' existing shortcuts and quickly switch to Essentials (for instance) should you need the defualt use of that shortcut.

image.png

The bottom line is that, as far as I know, what you are experiencing should not be happening, and might be fixable.  Unable to save Preferences etc. used to be a known issue with OSX a while back.  That could cause what you are describing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 07, 2021 Aug 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So far this option seems to be working for me:

Right-click on one of the tabs and choose "interface options" (Edit-->Preferences--Workspace) then deselect "Large Tabs"

After choosing that option I am able to have my swatches, color, and layers panels open.  Unfortunately I do have to right-click "minimize" my swatches panel when I am done with it, but I can live with that.  Hope this helps someone!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 12, 2023 Oct 12, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Adobe needs to stop changing things.  Why on god's earth would I want my layers to be collapsed in photoshop?  This is absolutely boneheaded design, and the fact that I have to tinker around when saving my workspace with it expanded should HOLD it that way.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines