• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Layer Via Cut not working properly

New Here ,
May 11, 2021 May 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I used Ctrl + Shift + J (which is the shortcut for Layer via cut ) , Ps didn't actually CUT the selection in the original layer . It just made a new layer with a copy of the selection. Why is that happening? That shortcut is supposed to cut the selection and it is not working right.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Shift Ctrl J cuts the existing selection and pastes into a new layer.  Sounds like you did a Ctrl J and your shift did not register.

Hold down SHIFT CTRL continuously, then tap the J key while the 2 modifier keys are down. If that does not work is not error from pressing keys incorrectly, but software issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did just like the way you said. Maybe it's the software issue. Any idea how can I fix this

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Correct operation is it should cut the select ares pixels on the current layer and add a new layer on top of the current layer that contain the cut pixels and that layer should become the current active layer. A background cut pixels will be filled with pixels that are background colored pixels.  A smart object layer pixels can not be cut and a normal layer cut pixels will be replaced with transparency. 

Capture.jpg

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, it should work like what you said. But mine is something wrong. I checked a couple times . I didn't make any mistake. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try resettinf Photoshop Tools and yote preferences and mak sure you shift key is working well.   For Ctrl+J will create a layer containing the selection without cutting the selection. Shortcurt Ctrl+J

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi @Caynchaos  

For testing purposes only, try using the menu command: Layer > New > Layer via Cut.

Two other things I can think of to try:

• Look to the right of the menu command to confirm the shortcut did not get changed on your computer
  • Try the Shift key on the other side of your keyboard

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines