Highlighted

layers and masks.

New Here ,
Nov 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

can any one help please.  

i trying to get my head around layers and the ps tuturial i am following step by step. every time i go and paint over an example photo ,ps comes up with this.  ' could not use the history brush because the history state does not contain a corresponding layer.    what ever that mean1?

thank u

steve

TOPICS
Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

layers and masks.

New Here ,
Nov 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

can any one help please.  

i trying to get my head around layers and the ps tuturial i am following step by step. every time i go and paint over an example photo ,ps comes up with this.  ' could not use the history brush because the history state does not contain a corresponding layer.    what ever that mean1?

thank u

steve

TOPICS
Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Nov 08, 2020 0
Most Valuable Participant ,
Nov 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It pretty much means what it says - you are using the history brush with no states to go back to. as to why and what nobody can tell you without knowing what tutorial you are following and at which step you get stuck. Sometimes trivial stuff like having selected a layer mask instead of the actual layer can cause this, but there's of course millions of other possibilities as well.

Mylenium

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 08, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Nov 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yea you need to use the regular paint brush, rather than the history brush.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 08, 2020 0
jane-e LATEST
Adobe Community Professional ,
Nov 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

The History brush will paint in the steps from the History panel. The first column is reserved selecting a history state to paint from and is set to the "open" state by default.

If your History panel is set to paint from the Open state, then you add a layer, then you try to paint on that layer, you will get the message you received. 

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/tool-techniques/history-brush-tool.html

Is that what the tutorial is teaching? If not, step back in the tutorial and choose the same brush tool that the presenter is using. As has been said, you most likely want the Brush tool here instead of the History brush.

~ Jane

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 08, 2020 0