Highlighted

layers not saving

New Here ,
Nov 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I save a photograph to lightroom and then bring it back into photoshop all the layers have gone.

How can I resolve this problem?

TOPICS
Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

layers not saving

New Here ,
Nov 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I save a photograph to lightroom and then bring it back into photoshop all the layers have gone.

How can I resolve this problem?

TOPICS
Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Nov 20, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Nov 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can't. Lightroom doesn't support layers at all.

You can "open original" from Lightroom, which will keep the layers, but then all Lightroom adjustments will be gone. What Lightroom works with is the flattened composite that is embedded in the file when Photoshop is set to "maximize compatibility".

Personally I've always felt that this roundtripping is an invitation to chaos and confusion, and basically self defeating. But that's me.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 20, 2020 2
Nov 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Afterthought, often overlooked:

If you want the type of adjustment you get in Lightroom, on an RGB file - use the ACR filter in Photoshop. It does the same thing, but in a form that is understood by both PS and Lr.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 21, 2020 1
WobertC LATEST
Nov 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can "open original" from Lightroom, which will keep the layers, but then all Lightroom adjustments will be gone.

Partially true! Because after opening an "original" layered PSD or TIF (RGB) file from Lr-Classic (open 'as Original' to preserve the layers), - recent LrC edits made to the PSD or TIF are not visible in Ps,  But, when the file is returned to LrC those last LrC adjustments are re-applied to the image.

But I do agree- "chaos & confusion" can be the experience! Better to make Ps the last step in the editing workflow, or the ACR 'Filter' as advised by @D Fosse 

Regards. My System: Lr-Classic 10.0, Photoshop 22.0.1, Lightroom 4.0, Windows-10 Nikon DSLR.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 21, 2020 1