• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lighter Color layer mode - jagged edges. Assistance needed.

Engaged ,
Feb 05, 2021 Feb 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In a photo that I'm editing, I have to use a layer in Lighter Color mode. It produces the results just that I need, color wise.

The problem are jagged edges without any anti-aliasing around the object of that layer. Is there a fix for this, smoother or anti-aliased?

Thanks!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Feb 05, 2021 Feb 05, 2021

Depending on the »Lighten«-Layer and the underlying image content a noticable »break-off« may be unavoidable. 

Blend Modes are generally quick but their results may lack the subtlety one may desire – in that case other approaches like the use of Layer Masks etc. may be necessary. 

Please also provide screenshots of the two layers separately. 

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could you please post a screenshot taken at View > 100% with the pertinent Panels (Toolbar, Layers, Channels, Options Bar, …) visible? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's part of the image at 100% crop. As you can see the purple lines are jagged.

I tried with masking and so far that's the only solution that works. Going with 0% hardness brush along with the edges on the mask.

_V3A3087.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 06, 2021 Feb 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Could you please post a screenshot taken at View > 100% with the pertinent Panels (Toolbar, Layers, Channels, Options Bar, …) visible

But judging the Layers’ content from the Layers Panel’s icons may be difficult anyway, so please post the two Layers as separate images. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Depending on the »Lighten«-Layer and the underlying image content a noticable »break-off« may be unavoidable. 

Blend Modes are generally quick but their results may lack the subtlety one may desire – in that case other approaches like the use of Layer Masks etc. may be necessary. 

Please also provide screenshots of the two layers separately. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, I will post the screenshot when I get home.

I was wondering if there was some anti-aliasing setting that I didn't enable.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Anti-aliasing has nothing to do with Blend Modes’ effects. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spatial_anti-aliasing

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines