• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lighting Effects in Photoshop 21.0.2 completely black out the image, not light it

Community Beginner ,
Jan 16, 2020 Jan 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all:

I am having serious problems using Lighting Effects in Photoshop 21.0.2, on a MacBook Air with an 11.6-inch screen, with Mac OSX 10.15.2 (Catalina).

Every time I use them, they completely silhouette the image if it's on a transparent background, or turn it into a black screen if it's not.

Just so you know, my image is RGB, and set to 8 bits/channel. I also reset the preferences in Photoshop.

Here is this image before I used Lighting Effects:

Screen Shot 2020-01-16 at 7.20.55 PM.png

Here is this image when I apply Lighting Effects to it:

Screen Shot 2020-01-16 at 7.21.32 PM.png

As you can see, it's completely silhouetted and black, even though there are lights on it (they show up in the Lights box in the lower right-hand corner of the screen.

I really need help with this. Thanks very much.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Beginner , Jan 17, 2020 Jan 17, 2020

I did it. I got the Lighting Effects to work.

Here's what I did.

My workspace was originally set to Essentials (Default).

So I went to the main menu, selected Window > Workspace > Graphic and Web, and now the Lighting Effects work.

I tried the Lighting Effects in other workspaces (3D, Painting, Photography, etc.), and they work in them too. They work in all workspaces except Essentials (Default).

Hope this helps others who have been having trouble with Lighting Effects.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Feb 19, 2020 Feb 19, 2020

Hi! users experiencing problems with the lighting effects should update to 21.1 as the release notes include a mention of on canvas controls: https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/fixed-issues.html#photoshop-desktop-fixed-issues

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

While inside the Lighting Effects dialog, press the Option key. The "Cancel" button will change to "Reset"

Click on "Reset" and it will go back to defaults. Then you can see if it works properly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just tried that. Didn't work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can try installing CC 2019 and see if there is any difference.

Do you have other Catalina Macs you can check 21.0.2 on?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 17, 2020 Jan 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Where can I find Photoshop cc 2019?

No, I have no other Catalina apps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did it. I got the Lighting Effects to work.

Here's what I did.

My workspace was originally set to Essentials (Default).

So I went to the main menu, selected Window > Workspace > Graphic and Web, and now the Lighting Effects work.

I tried the Lighting Effects in other workspaces (3D, Painting, Photography, etc.), and they work in them too. They work in all workspaces except Essentials (Default).

Hope this helps others who have been having trouble with Lighting Effects.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Weird, I tried Essentials and it worked fine, but I'm on Mojave not Catalina. Anyway congradulations for solving it yourself.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 12, 2020 Feb 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This did not work for me. I'm on a PC. I am trying all available suggestions but haven't found one yet that works.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use a windows laptop but have same problem. I'm trying to get a screen shot but not working. Let's just say it looks like a blavk layer with the handles.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 18, 2020 Jan 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First try the Reset trick, but press and hold the Alt key to see the Cancel button change to Reset.

I have to leave, will return in several hours. Hopefully someone else will be around.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It finally worked. The ambience was up to 100% which made it all dark. Was that the default level? I aslo clicked the legacy compositing. Thanks for sharing what worked for you. BTW, I found out about the ambience today.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ambience should be 0 (zero).  -100 is all dark, 100 is all white.

In the Option Bar are the Presets. Choose Default and then Reset if you get lost in your settings.

Screen Shot 2020-01-18 at 11.54.33 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I will remmberr that next time. I think  they had it on 100%. It was the first I started using Lighting Effects since I subscribed again. My fault was not checking ambience

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 21, 2020 Jan 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, changing the workspace didn't work and reseting actually does nothing. Here are some screen shots of an older project that was opened in the updated Photoshop. #1 is the layer (smart object) in question with the filter. #2 is the lighting effects, ambience was set to -66. #3 is ambience set to 0 with no results #4 is ambience set all the way to 100.Layer before re-opening effectsLayer before re-opening effectsAmbience was set to -66Ambience was set to -66Ambience set to 0 with no resultsAmbience set to 0 with no resultsAmbience set to 100Ambience set to 100

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 22, 2020 Jan 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey for everyone who's tried the different suggestions and feel like they've failed, make the 8 bit RGB changes suggested, then go to Preferences > General > RESET PREFERENCES ON QUIT > and THEN reset. Idk what stupid button we all pressed at some point, but after trying everything, I just reset my install, and boom!

Hope this helps someone.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 07, 2020 Aug 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thank you sooooooooooooo much bro.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 11, 2021 Aug 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This worked! Thank you so much, non Adobe personel.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 19, 2020 Feb 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi! users experiencing problems with the lighting effects should update to 21.1 as the release notes include a mention of on canvas controls: https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/fixed-issues.html#photoshop-desktop-fixed-issues

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 28, 2020 Mar 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, another update addresses the black lighting effects:  21.1.1 release notes lists the black lighting effects as being fixed: https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/fixed-issues.html#photoshop-desktop-fixed-issues

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines