• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lightroom to Photoshop then back to Lightroom problem

New Here ,
Aug 26, 2020 Aug 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The fact files swap back in forth from the program is probably my favorite feature, but some times it seems to not work, and I can't figure out why. My photos always start in Lightroom. I do basic adjustments, then I open in Photoshop which always works. After editing in Photoshop I flatten the image, press ctrl+s, then it usually goes back to Lightroom, but not always. I can't figure out why this usually works, but some times it doesn't. It always seems to fail when I do more complex edits, composites, and masks. Is there something I should do, or avoid doing to ensure the file goes back to Lightroom? When the file doesn't go back to Lighroom, what should I do to do it manually? I usually end up saving a jpeg, and manually importing to Lightroom, but I know I'm looseing quality and capability. Is there a specific file I should save as to be able to open back in lightroom with full quality/dynamic range? I'd really like to fix this, I''ve been doing photography professionaly for less than year and started using Photo Shop more recently, and this problem really throws a wrench in my workflow.

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Aug 27, 2020 Aug 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is my experience-

First, you do not need to 'flatten' the Photoshop image before the [Save] and [Close]. The PSD or TIF will go back to the Lr Catalog quite well, maintaining full quality and all layers (irrespective of there being composites, masks, adjustment layers, etc).

Lightroom-Classic can catalog layered files, no problem.

Complications may only arise if you want to take the TIF/PSD back to Photoshop  from LrC a second (or third) time- you will commonly choose to Edit the "Original" (ie. the Original TIF/PSD file. Not the original raw file in the catalog. More explanation would be needed!)

Second, many reports of Ps files 'not returning to LrC' can often be explained because of a set Sort Order (eg. Capture Time) that separates the TIF/PSD from the raw original- even to the very end of all photographs in the Catalog. Also any active attribute Filters may be 'hiding' the TIF/PSD file.

Certainly if you [Save As] a JPG file, then LrC does not know anything about this 'new' file. Lr is expecting a TIF/PSD to return to the catalog. Any file created by [Save As] will need Importing to the Catalog. (and, as you say, a JPG is flattened & compressed quality)

I do not have an answer as to 'why' your files are not returing to Lr- They may well be, but you cannot see/find them. A bit more research will be needed.

You have not stated your OS, or your Versions of Lightroom and Photoshop to help any answer.

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 27, 2020 Aug 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks for the reply. I'm using Windows, and I'm always running the newest versions of Lightroom and Photoshop. I know in the past I have moved photos shot on different days for sky replacements, that may explain why the image didn't go back to the main date folder I was working in. I have saved PSDs to my desktop before, and I just checked Lightroom, and those are in the catalogue. Saving a stack of layers will be fine, even if multiple layers are not visible? At least I know now if the file doesn't transfer immediately, I can just save as a PSD in the folder I'm working from.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines