• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Line Tool No Longer Allows for Pixels?

New Here ,
Oct 22, 2020 Oct 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I never want to use the line tool to create a shape or a path. I constantly use it as a straight line tool for pixels only. Suddenly it seems that this is a greyed out unselectable option. 

Is there any way to use the line tool for pixel creation only? I do not want to go through paths or shape tools to eventually create pixels. I only want to use the line tool for creating pixels. 

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Mar 10, 2021 Mar 10, 2021

In Photoshop 22.3.0 this issue appears to be rectified. (But the Pen Tool seems to be afflicted with other issues …) 

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

*This is with Photoshop 2021

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

It's been report here on the Adobe Feedback Forum

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 02, 2021 Feb 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried adding feedback there, but my forum login won't work, so I can't post feedback. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't seem to edit my post. I wanted to add that the message I get is "Login Failed. Invalid email or password." It's the same email and password I used to log into the forum to post this message. I don't understand why it won't work there. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 25, 2020 Oct 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

WHY??? Restore this NOW

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 25, 2020 Oct 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Bruce D Walters:

WHY??? Restore this NOW

This is a user-to-user forum. We have no more control over Adobe's decisions than you do. To file a feature request, please use https://feedback.photoshop.com/.

In the meantime, if you draw a line as a path, and stroke the path, you will get the same result (pixels). Happy to share more details, if this interests you or @Dylan15A9.

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Oct 29, 2020 Oct 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, this works, but, it adds extra steps to a really basic tool. Changing things for change sake makes no sense to me. I just want to create a line without faffing around with strokes etc.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 02, 2020 Nov 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree - this was a bad change to the latest update...I used the line tool for creating pixel lines all the time, now it is more burdensome.  Worst change since removing the shortcut for the blending tool.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 02, 2020 Nov 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, I'll bite. how do I "stroke the path?" I'm a cartoonist who is dumb at learning new systems, or I would have switched to Clip Studio long ago. I use the line tool to draw perspective grids, which means I need to be able to rasterize clusters of lines, and move them around after I make them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 22, 2020 Nov 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Draw it, right click on it and choose "Stroke Path".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 22, 2020 Nov 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Stroking the Path on the path or outside the path brakes the  line tool's arrowheads  throws them off Target. If stroked inside the Arrowheads remain on target but there is no line stroke for there is no inside of a two point line path.  For Adobe removed line weight to make 4 point  line paths that can be filled and stroked inside.  Line weight is required for proper operation of the line tool. 

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Dec 16, 2020 Dec 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is totally borked. You can paint a pixel line with the Line Tool but it takes a LOT of clicks.

Just draw the line with your Brush tool. Set a hard brush to the width you want. Click once at the start of the line and then SHIFT-Click at the end of the line. The brush draws a straight line from the start to the end. This doesn't allow you to make arrows but it does make the line which is mostly what I want.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Dec 17, 2020 Dec 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

.....but, when using a Wacom tablet with transparency enabled for subtle drawing that is a hassle. I have gone back a version that has the pixel line tool active, who would have thought such a basic tool has a high importance in the workflow.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 18, 2020 Dec 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all. I found that if you draw a line, go to "Properties" tool box and there is a little drop down called "Set align type". It is default selected on something like "inside line" which doesn't let the stroke appear. If you set it to "center" which is the middle option, you will see your stroked line as normal in previous Photoshop versions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 01, 2021 Jan 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

humbug

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 17, 2021 Jan 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

[Abuse removed by moderator]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've tried to add feedback on the Adobe Feedback Forum about the fact they removed the pixel line tool, but I can't log in using my Adobe Forum account, even though it says that's what I should use to sign in. How do I log in there to add feedback? I really need this pixel line tool back, I use it often! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 17, 2021 Feb 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is so frustrating, still not fixed in February 2021, or am I missing something?
Let's face it, Adobe no longer gives a damn.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The best bet is to go back a version or keep v.2020 and v.2021 working simultaneously. That's is what I have had to do to maintain a smooth workflow.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found a fix. This makes it work like previous line tools.

Just draw your line, then go to "Properties". If you don't have Properties already, can find it in Window > Properties.

Then find "Appearance" in the Properties box. Under that, there's a little drop-down selector that lets you change how the line is stroked. (Inside, Outside, Center).

Make sure it is either Outside or Center and boom -- you got your line with stroke. The problem is that they default it to "Inside" which doesn't allow the stroke to appear.

stroke-it.jpg

 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Awesome! Will try it out! Cheers!

This message may contain confidential and/or privileged information. If you are not the addressee or
authorized to receive this for the addressee, you must not use, copy, disclose take any action based on
this message or any information herein. If you have received this message in error, please advise the
sender immediately by reply e-mail and delete this message. Thank you for your cooperation.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@smash-and-grabThank you for the heads up!! That is definitely a valid solution. Thanks for sharing the tip!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 19, 2021 Feb 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is by the dumbest thing Adobe has done. Please add back the pixel option!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 10, 2021 Mar 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In Photoshop 22.3.0 this issue appears to be rectified. (But the Pen Tool seems to be afflicted with other issues …) 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines