Highlighted

Line Tool No Longer Allows for Pixels?

New Here ,
Oct 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I never want to use the line tool to create a shape or a path. I constantly use it as a straight line tool for pixels only. Suddenly it seems that this is a greyed out unselectable option. 

Is there any way to use the line tool for pixel creation only? I do not want to go through paths or shape tools to eventually create pixels. I only want to use the line tool for creating pixels. 

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by Ged Traynor | Adobe Community Professional

Hi

It's been report here on the Adobe Feedback Forum

TOPICS
Bug, Feature request, How to, Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Line Tool No Longer Allows for Pixels?

New Here ,
Oct 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I never want to use the line tool to create a shape or a path. I constantly use it as a straight line tool for pixels only. Suddenly it seems that this is a greyed out unselectable option. 

Is there any way to use the line tool for pixel creation only? I do not want to go through paths or shape tools to eventually create pixels. I only want to use the line tool for creating pixels. 

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by Ged Traynor | Adobe Community Professional

Hi

TOPICS
Bug, Feature request, How to, Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Oct 22, 2020 1
New Here ,
Oct 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

*This is with Photoshop 2021

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 22, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Oct 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 22, 2020 0
New Here ,
Oct 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

WHY??? Restore this NOW

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 25, 2020 1
Adobe Community Professional ,
Oct 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Bruce D Walters:

WHY??? Restore this NOW

This is a user-to-user forum. We have no more control over Adobe's decisions than you do. To file a feature request, please use https://feedback.photoshop.com/.

In the meantime, if you draw a line as a path, and stroke the path, you will get the same result (pixels). Happy to share more details, if this interests you or @Dylan15A9.

~Barb

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 25, 2020 0
Engaged ,
Oct 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, this works, but, it adds extra steps to a really basic tool. Changing things for change sake makes no sense to me. I just want to create a line without faffing around with strokes etc.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 29, 2020 1
New Here ,
Nov 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree - this was a bad change to the latest update...I used the line tool for creating pixel lines all the time, now it is more burdensome.  Worst change since removing the shortcut for the blending tool.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 02, 2020 1
Community Beginner ,
Nov 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, I'll bite. how do I "stroke the path?" I'm a cartoonist who is dumb at learning new systems, or I would have switched to Clip Studio long ago. I use the line tool to draw perspective grids, which means I need to be able to rasterize clusters of lines, and move them around after I make them.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 02, 2020 1
New Here ,
Nov 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Draw it, right click on it and choose "Stroke Path".

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 22, 2020 0
JJMack LATEST
Most Valuable Participant ,
Nov 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Stroking the Path on the path or outside the path brakes the  line tool's arrowheads  throws them off Target. If stroked inside the Arrowheads remain on target but there is no line stroke for there is no inside of a two point line path.  For Adobe removed line weight to make 4 point  line paths that can be filled and stroked inside.  Line weight is required for proper operation of the line tool. 

JJMack

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 22, 2020 0