• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Linked objects lost forever. What do I do now?

New Here ,
Oct 01, 2019 Oct 01, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My understanding is that the layer in the psd file with the lost object still has a flattened image that is approximately the same size as the original.  Should I rasterize the image?  I also exported it as a png file and after looking at its image size I found that it is a very large file.  Is this an actual size or the size of the original?  If it is its true size, Can I use this png to replace the old linked layer?  

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please post the name of the program you use so a Moderator may move this message to that forum
-A program would be Photoshop or Illustrator or InDesign or ???

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

An image, flattened or otherwise, is already rasterised. So I can't see what you are proposing. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am trying to find a work-around so that I can salvage the dozens of PSD files that contain my artwork. I rasterized a layer with a missing link to get it out of "smart object" mode. I exported the same layer to png to see what size it was. I need suggestions on how to salvage this disaster.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you want some magic how to get work around missing linked Smart Object layers? If you cannot re-link then you can not do much about that, work with what you have on layers. You can rasterize layers and do not worry, content on layers will not go away because you are missing files which are linked.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

All that's left is the preview then. See if you can reset the scaling to 100% before rasterizing, but i think you'll get an error if it's missing. Unfortunately, if these were linked SOs, there's no way to recover the whole asset, only the what's left of the preview.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines