• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Liquify error: the backdrop settings are preventing the preview from showing image changes

Community Beginner ,
May 09, 2019 May 09, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I activate "show backdrop", mode: in front and set the opacity to 100%; I get this error message: the backdrop settings are preventing the preview from showing image changes.

As soon as I drop the opacity to like 85% it starts working again, but it's very distracting to work that way. It worked at one point and I can't tell when it stopped specifically.

Hopefully, someone can help me to resolve this.

I'm running Liquify as a smart filter, the layer I would like to see in front is a rasterized layer without a layer mask. My working space is in the Adobe RGB with 8bit color depth. I'm using the latest version of Photoshop on an iMac (macOS Mojave).

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you have "Show Backdrop" on, you basically want it to be "Behind" under Mode in the same option if you want to see what's going on.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your suggestion, but it's not working in my case. See, the smart objects I am working on are masked and I'm using the Liquify filter to clean up edges. However, the Liquify dialog shows the entire image without the mask applied,  there's no way I can see what's going on along the edges. That's why I fill a layer with a random color, apply the layer mask and load it as a backdrop in front of my object. If I set my help layer behind it just disappears.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Seems like a lot of unnecessary work. Why not use Select and Mask? There are various views (called, "Views," naturally) to use to check the edge against, like "On Layers" and "Black & White".

If all you're doing is cleaning up edges, Select and Mask would allow you to go back and forth between its interface and your own work on a mask (provided you use "Layer Mask" as output but you can use other methods like Selection as reference points).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 29, 2020 Jul 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's not unnecessary work at all, is a much more organized setup for advanced and demanding workflows. The solution is simple, make sure you check the "Don't show again" box in the warning (not error) pop up window. This will allow you to continue working just fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 29, 2020 Jul 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, I was looking for a solution to this same problem and discovered it myself. You just have to check the "Don't show again" box in the error message, because it's actually not an error, it's just a warning. So make sure it doesn't pop up again and continue working.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 01, 2023 Apr 01, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The reason why such an useless "warning" is even a thing, is beyond me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 03, 2023 Oct 03, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you so much for your help 🙂 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 02, 2020 Sep 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I figured it out for myself jist now. Hope this helps anyone in the future. In the midst of racing through and edit and selecting/un-selectedb"Show Guides" I checked off the box underneath for "Show Image". This will help if you toggle it/check it back on!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 07, 2022 Jul 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

found it !

actually there is no error, just mark the "Don't show again" box on the error window and get back to work

Done !

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 21, 2023 Aug 21, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What the heck is going on?  I have used Liquify for years and now something has happened.  I have read the solutions below buy now Liquify will not appear.  I select it, acts like it is activating but never comes up.  When I do get it up it is broken.  It just happened and don't know what changed.  I am getting the "Backdrop settings are preventing......".  I have changed every setting and no-go.  Any advise to help me get my regular settings back to the Liquify we all knew back?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 21, 2023 Aug 21, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Done....friend saw my post and talked me off the ledge (my desktop).

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines