• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Loading an image into photoshop that has a transperant background

New Here ,
Nov 08, 2020 Nov 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am wanting to use an image in photoshop that is supposed to have a transperant background. It is a an eps file - vector image. On opening it in photoshop it has the grey square background that is usually associated with transperancy but in using it with other images the background is not transperant. 

Is there a trick in opening these files to utilise the tranperancy it has been created with?

Any help welcome

Thanks

Tjilpi

Moved from Using the Community (which is about the forums) to a better forum... Mod
To find a forum for your program please start at https://community.adobe.com/

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Nov 09, 2020 Nov 09, 2020

I downloaded your file and see it is complicated in its setup.

Here is what you can do.

- After opening the image in Photoshop without the background (where the globe looks black), convert the layer to a Smart Object. Click on the layer, then the menu icon in the top right of the layer panel (3 horizontal lines) and choose Convert to Smart Object.

- Set the layer to Screen.

- Try add a layer behind.

My version below:
vectorglobe.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could you post a screenshot of what you see in Photoshop?

If you have a solid shape, say a circle, in an EPS file, then when it you open in Photoshop, everything around that circle should be transparent. 

What was used to create the EPS?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you have downloaded file from the internet or from some stock site then you may have opened preview file which does have fake or non-photoshop transparency checkerboard which is created to simulate Photoshop's way of displaying transparency. Do you have access to another file which is not for preview purpose?

Please post screenshot with file open in Photoshop and Layers panel visible.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 09, 2020 Nov 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

vector sceeenshot.JPG

Thanks for the offers of held. The file is a shutterstock image downloaded under license. Screenshot is included as requested. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

From the screenshot, the tranaparency seems to be OK.

Is the problem when you create a new layer with some gaphic behind the crystal ball? If so, could you also show ascreenshot of what it looks like with the layer behind.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Capture.JPG

Here is a screenshot with a layer behind to which I've added some red brushstrokes. You can see the layer below but nothing on the overall image - indicating to me that the transperancy is not operating as it should 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, looking at the image more carefully, the grey boxes are not the Photoshop transparency as they would be much smaller. They look the same size as the preview on the Shutterstock page.

As Jane has mentioned, Illustrator will be able to open the EPS showing the different components allowing you to delete the ones you don't want. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

It is coming into PS with one non-transparent layer, and the square pixels are part of that one layer. It will be difficult or impossible to get rid of them in Photoshop in the area where they are behind the glass.

The eps is vector and you will need to open it in Adobe Illustrator or another vector package to see the vector layers and delete the one with the checkerboard. You can then use it in Illustrator or Photoshop.

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Let us know how the eps works in Illustrator, and show the layers panel (expanded) if you need to. Sometimes these images are grouped one or more times or there might be a clipping mask. The checkered pattern should be at the very bottom of the stacking order.

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

AI version.JPG

This is the Illustrator screen - layers panel opened. 

I could switch off the chequerboard but what remained was not transperant. 

Thoughts??

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I deleted the layer and saved it but when it opened in Photoshop it was not transperant

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try save as an Illustrator (AI) file and try. If you Save As and select EPS, you should see  a Preview Format setting showing Transparent and Opaque. Of course Transparent needs to be selected.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think we may have been posting at the same time. So to clarify,

- Delete the 'Background' in Illustrator (rather than imply hiding it).
Illustrator won't give you a preview of transparency do don't be too concerned if it doesn't look right in there.

- Save the file, either as an AI or EPS as I mentioned. You could save as a different name so you keep the original. 

- Bring that new file into Photoshop and test with another layer behind.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes tried that - still not transperant in PS

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok my "tried that" answer was to your earlier reply

I'll try the latest 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks for all your help

I want to use these to create a Christmas card idea with grandchildren in the baubles. 

Need to be able to have layers behind and the transperant bauble in front

I'll try your latest suggestion and if not send you vai dropbox as suggested

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm also happy to look at the file if you want to share it.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well deleting the background group and saving was partly successful. 

Here's the result. 

AI version.JPG

I can post a dropbox link to the original file in the thread of the conversation . 

Is that OK for you?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A dropbox link to the file will work for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Dean and Jane for your support. 

Here's the dropbox link -

https://www.dropbox.com/s/slyt5aqf3vkmtsr/758176315-vector.eps?dl=0 

Mike

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I downloaded your file and see it is complicated in its setup.

Here is what you can do.

- After opening the image in Photoshop without the background (where the globe looks black), convert the layer to a Smart Object. Click on the layer, then the menu icon in the top right of the layer panel (3 horizontal lines) and choose Convert to Smart Object.

- Set the layer to Screen.

- Try add a layer behind.

My version below:
vectorglobe.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your suggestion Dean. This has worked well. 

Appreciate the assistance from you both. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 10, 2020 Nov 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi @Tjilpi Mike 

I'm glad it's working for you now! Don't forget to remove the image from your Dropbox, as this is a public forum.

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What happens when you delete the 'Brackground' group? It appears to be what you want to remove.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines