• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: alt+right click drag resize opacity lock

Explorer ,
Jan 19, 2016 Jan 19, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Would be great to have an option that will lock opacity when resizing my brush with alt+right click drag, There is one for brush hardness, but never found one for opacity!

Idea No status
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
83 Comments
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

use the numbers 0-9 to change opacity.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I want to PREVENT opacity changing when I resize my brush 😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

weird, i've never seen the opacity change when resizing a brush... maybe it's a Windows thing?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

possible, it's this alt+right click drag resizing, it left right movement is for resizing, and up down will change hardness, but if hardness is turned off it will change opacity

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Feb 01, 2016 Feb 01, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I couldnt agree more. That's definitely a must have "feature". I find it weird that barely no one asks for it. Maybe almost no one uses the alt+right click for brush size. If locking is too hard to implement, an easier way would be to lock the change based on initial direction. So dragging left/right would lock to brush size, while starting with up/down movement would lock to opacity.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Jun 18, 2020 Jun 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I'm paint with Photoshop I use "CRTL+ALT+left click - drag left right" shortcut to adjust the size of the Brush. I never (or very very rarely) touch to the Opacity adjustment. I try to keep it in 100%.

But when using "CRTL+ALT+left click- shortcut" it is very easy to accidentally move your cursor a tiny bit upwards and degrease Opacity to 98% or 99%. This is very annoying, especially when using eraser. 

We need option to lock opacity. Or disable Opacity control with CRTL+ALT+left click" -shortcut.    

There are several request for this option in this forum. This shouldn't be very hard to implement.     

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tool Opacity Lock. Using keyboard commands (OPT+CTRL) to change Brush Size (Stylus L - R) it's way too easy to accidentally change opacity (Stylus UP - Down), especially when masking when many size, shape changes are being made. Please add a lock between Mode: and Opacity:

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So, when you are working with mask, using brush tool, there is huge need to lock opacity, hardness and flow, to have perfectly masked edges.

Now, when there is no such an option to permanently lock this settings - there is a chance to mess this settings by accident and all work is ruined (specially when you change opacity to 99% and after masking all object, you discover that all masking work is messed.)

And this changing by accident is very simple to do - just change size of brush (in a rush) by alt+right mouse button + drag left/right, and move mouse slighty up/down by mistake.

I hope my idea is clear.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Sep 06, 2020 Sep 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yes please, every other program i used had a very similar shortcut that allowed to resize with click drag, without worrying of accidentally changing opacity while doing it

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Feb 25, 2021 Feb 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is this issue going to be resolved ever? I've had this problem for years and seems other users have had it too. I constantly catch my brush opacity slipping to 99% while resizing the brush. Adobe seems to come up with countless new gimmicks aimed at the casual user and this simple problem remains( to my knowledge) unresolved.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Feb 28, 2021 Feb 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This simple thing is driving me crazy. 

Everytime I draw something in Photoshop I have to painfully clean my drawings because I change the brush opacity accidentally from 100 percent to 99% or 97% etc.  

I just send Book cover for my client  and  now I see those marks in my drawing caused because the eraser has been set to 97% or something instead of 100%. Frustrating. 

COULD YOU PLEASE GIVE US OPTION TO NOT CHANGE OPACITY WHEN RESIZING THE BRUSH  !!

It should be very simple thing to give user a option to disable features.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a user Forum, so you are not really addressing Adobe here, even though some Adobe employees thankfully have been dropping by.

How exactly are you resizing the Tools? And how does that affect Opacity? 

Could you please post screenshots with the pertinent Panels (Toolbar, Layers, Brush Settings, Options Bar, …) visible? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When Brushtool is active, press ALT+CTRL+Righth Click and
drag Left/Right to resize the Brush tip.
Drag Up/Down to change the Opacity. 

When dragging Left/Right to change size, it is very easy to move Pen/Cursor a tiny amount to up, and then Opacity drops from 100% to 99% for example. I constantly have to check if my opacity is at 100%, and even thought I try to check that, I often find that I have painted/erased with brush thats opacity is not 100% and have all kind of "marks" on my drawings.   

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How does ctrl-alt-click-dragging vertically change Opacity? 

Are you talking about the brush’s hardness? 

That can be avoided by unchecking 

Photoshop > Preferences > Tools > Vary Brush Hardness based on HUD verstical movement 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For example that bluish gray should be one solid color. 
But because the [inappropriate language removed by moderator] Photoshop can't keep Opacity at 100% the results are as seen. 

( sorry for my emotionalism. But this is really driving me crazy. I have been fighting with this too long, and wasted countless of hours fixing those errors. So [inappropriate language removed by moderator] simple thing to fix from Adobes part. Just give option to disable one feature.. I need to get work done, not painting over errors left by program) 
Capture.PNG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No. I am not talking about hardness. 

That option aplies only for Brushes that have hardness setting. If there isn't hardness setting, the Opacity is adjusted. 

( And I don't want to adjust Hardness either accidentatally )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh, gee, if you had deigned to actually post the requested screenshot (see pot 1) I might have seen that you are talking about Sampled Brushes … 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can post a Feature Request over on 

Photoshop Family

»I need to get work done, not painting over errors left by program«

These errors are not the program’s.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is a thread for this in that site and I'd like to comment it. 

But I can't log in with my Creative Cloud account to that Photoshop Family site.
Should it be possible?
It accepts my username and password, but after that it just freezes to show those 3 dots.  

I tried to ask this from Adobe support. But they seem to be unable to understand my problem and think that I have problems using Photoshop, even thouhgt I tried to tell mulitple times that I can't sign in to Photoshop.com website. I don't feel very good today about how adobe hadles these different kind customer issues.  

khellstr_0-1614517012187.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, the quality of Adobe’s customer support has often been critized but this is a user Forum, so we cannot do anything much about that. 

As for signing in in on feedback.photoshop.com you seem to experience some unexpected problem, I also use the »Photoshop Family« buttom. 

Could you try on another browser if you have more than one installed? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

These errors are not the program’s.  

If there was option to Lock Opacity, I wouldn't have those errors.

They are caused because of  the lack of options in the program and so could be easialy avoided wiht a simple option given to user. 

If we are nitpicking, they aren't programs errors, I just need to be very carefull.
But it is a bit like I would give you car that has lousy brakses, and then when there is a accident, I would blame you instead of the malfunctioning brakes.     

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

An aside: feedback.photoshop.com also seems to feature plenty of customer support related posts … 

Screenshot 2021-02-28 at 14.17.18.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Could you try on another browser if you have more than one installed? " 

I tried sereval.  

I know this is wrong forum to solve that problem, but I don't know where could I contact, as Adobes custormer support was total catastrophe. They seem to be completely unaware even of the existence of that site. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmm … maybe the example would work better with a bicycle with two separate brakes, one of which is lousy. 

Because there are alternative ways of changing the brush diameter (keyboard shortcuts, contextual menu, …), so one could avoid this one method by using another, albeit more cumbersome one. 

I am not trying to contest that a Feature Request on this has merit, but I think proper wording matters (aka nitpicking). 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Mar 05, 2021 Mar 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Already happened twice this morning. Loving it!

Creating worlds for screen and paper - also offering photo resources and HDRIs on www.dziga.com

Votes

Translate

Translate