This conversation has been locked.

[Locked] CS3 new serial number and installer [CS3 is dead]

Sep 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have CS3, and have had problems with activation failure. Got told that this would do the trick: Activation or connection error when starting CS3 or Acrobat 8

"Receive a new serial number and installer  Get a new serial number and installer so you can reinstall CS3 or Acrobat 8 applications successfully. These special versions do not require activation."

I followed the instruction very carefully, yet everything is exactly the same as before, same message about activation failure.

What's the catch? Do I have to say a magic word or something?

I really need to get this working, please advice.

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by Nancy_OShea | Adobe Community Professional

It's now 2020. As an update, CS3 activation servers are gone. And Adobe ended access to activation-free installers and replacement serial numbers. Customer Care agents cannot help with this matter.  CS3 is officially dead and gone.

Topics

Download and install

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Adobe Community Professional ,
Sep 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hopefully deleting the cache.db file as described in the following adobe kb will work:

https://helpx.adobe.com/x-productkb/global/temporary-activation-expired.html

2 Likes

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Nov 12, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Although the above idea got me past the roadblock of having an old serial number, when I installed the "new" CS3 and entered my replacement serial number, the program tries to register the new serial number but says that it cannot connect.  This is the ONLY app on my machine that claims it cannot connect.

Suggestions?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, registration is optional, not required and no lomger connects to adobe, so just click on Never Register.

If your on windows vista, 7 8/8,1 or 19 then run cs3 as an administrator first to make the Never Register setting stick so the dialog doesn't reappear.

Right click on the cs3 shortcut, then click Run as Administrator or More>Run as Administrator and you only havet o this once to get rid of the registration dialog, Then run cs3 normally afterwards,

1 Like

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same issue but I've done everything suggested here and I still get the same message about needing to activate my product. No option to put in my new serial number, no option to not register, nothing.

1 Like

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What operating system are you using?

You uninstalled your old cs3, download the new non activation version of cs3 and installed it?

Download Adobe Creative Suite 3 products

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

where does one download said non activation version of CS3? I have tried over and over again but the file only sends me documentation and some images. it makes no sense.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did the same thing (repeatedly) - uninstalled the old cs3, used the creative cloud cleaner, got the new serial number, downloaded a new version of cs3 and installed. I never got an opportunity to enter the new serial number or opt out of registering, I immediately got the temporary activation expired.

All I really want to use is Acrobat - and I don't want to pay for it again! It works fine with Windows 10.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hopefully deleting the cache.db file as described in the following adobe kb will work:

https://helpx.adobe.com/x-productkb/global/temporary-activation-expired.html

2 Likes

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you!! It worked, finally. It was very difficult to find this thread and find your answer. I really appreciate it. I did not find the 'Correct' ​to click on below your anwer.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 30, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had to made a complet reinstall of my Windows on my PC.Now i wanted to reinstall my CS3. The non activation version of CS3 seems to be no longer available. Is there any possibility to get them anywhere?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did You find a solution ? I have the same issue.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've tried that like ten times. I download the file, it opens the Exe, I push the next button, it has an install bar. I open the file. There are only documents and images. There are no programs anywhere to be found or an installer for the program.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Where did you find the installer? All I can find are documentation and fonts, etc. No .exe file. What am I missing??

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Go here to get the non activation cs3.

You need your original serial number.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tried numerous times as other above.

Uninstalled my old CS3

Moved the AdobePDF.dll to my desktop

Manually removed the cache file from where it was shown in above info

Reinstalled CS3 from the link above from adobe

I go to Adobe CS3 folder after install to click on .exe. file and nothing is there but the set up and some folders

Not even getting to a point where I put in my new CS3 serial number.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Windows 10

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe your looking at the folder on your desktop that adobe extracts the cs3 install files to?

That's the folder that has the Setup.exe which you double click to do the actual install of cs3.

The actual install of cs3 then should be in C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe.

After you actually run one of the cs3 programs is when your prompted to insert a serial number.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Feb 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jeff,

I am having the same problem as above.

I followed all the instructions, but I've been going in circles for hours.

I get the Akamai installer and choose the .exe link, which creates a folder on my desktop. The only files in the folder are non-executable files, "Goodies" and "Documentation" folders and a Read Me file. There's also nothing executable in my Program Files or Program Files (x86) folder.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Carolee. Your query was a while ago now, but if you ever visit again, I struggled to find the applications too, on Win10 , once I'd reloaded CS3. I found the 1.6GB file under This PC/Desktop/Adobe

But I'm stuck at the vicious circle of No Connection, with the new files.

I could uninstall and reinstall, delete the Cache file (which I found as described) and hope it works, I guess. But where we live, there is a patchy and slow internet connection, so I have to find a public network to download the new files. Yesterday it took nearly 2 hours to download the new CS3.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jeff:

I am having the same problem as Carolee:

I followed all the instructions, - but here is what happened:

I get the Akamai installer and choose the .exe link, which creates a folder on my desktop. The only files in the folder are non-executable files, "Goodies" and "Documentation" folders and a Read Me file. There's also nothing executable in my Program Files or Program Files (x86) folder.

Please help!

Thanks

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is not working. This is really wasting time.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is not working?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear Jeff,

Thank you for responding.

I am sorry as I am really frustrated with the re-installation of CS3. I have just gotten a new notebook and I would like to use Photoshop on it. However, I need to uninstall and re-install a new version. I am unable to download the new version as installer keeps going to the app stores.

Please help. Thank you

Sent from my iPhone

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What operating system does your new notebook have?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Most Valuable Participant ,
Mar 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

momofj5, can you let us know ALL of the files you see in that folder? A screen shot would be fine but you CANNOT email it, or a list of what you see.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jeff,

I am using Windows 10 Pro. I am looking forward to your advice.

Best regards.

Lee

Sent from my iPhone

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm still not clear on the problem.

You went to this page, got a new cs3 installer and serial, then when you try to download the file, what exactly happens?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Now I got it to install but it's back at the Activation - No Connection screen again. It never asked for the new serial number. *sigh. This shouldn't be this hard.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

VICTORY! Thanks so much! Deleting that Cache file did the trick!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did ask a question, please answer it so we can give advice: "can you let us know ALL of the files you see in that folder? A screen shot would be fine but you CANNOT email it, or a list of what you see."

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So sorry!  Because I already executed, I no longer see what I was supposed to click on, so I can't screenshot it for you.  However, the screen shot looks exactly like the shot posted in response to an August 11, 2017, post by gunterr called: Reactivating CS3 (Updated).  If you go to page 2 of that discussion, you'll find someone named dkmangum70 posed on October 11, 2017 the screenshot that you are looking for.  The trouble I had was that this screenshot highlighted (in blue) the file called WinBootstrapper1.cab.  However, that was NOT the file I needed to click on.  Rather the file called "Setup.exe" was the file that made my CS3 magically work!  I hope this is helpful.  I am not a computer expert at all.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks! I guess that would be this:

setup.exe.JPG

This looks good. You'd run the SETUP.EXE file and let it do the rest. However, I don't see the "Goodies" or "Documentation" folders you referred to.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After the install, there were two main files.  One had 3 sub-files with the "goodies" and the "documentation" (and maybe one other) listed.  The other had the sub-files that are in that screen shot. After I posted my question, I kept clicking on things and found that I had the same set up as that screen shot, but I was stuck on his highlighted blue file (and the fact that it did nothing).  But his description said something about the .exe file. . . so I clicked on it and YEA! it worked.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's now 2020. As an update, CS3 activation servers are gone. And Adobe ended access to activation-free installers and replacement serial numbers. Customer Care agents cannot help with this matter.  CS3 is officially dead and gone.

Nancy O'Shea, ACP
Alt-Web.com

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well that's a great start to a new decade. 😞 Just upgraded to Win 10 to ensure my Oculus Rift would continue working, and I've now lost the Creative Suite I paid all that money for. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

12 year old software is of no interest to anyone anymore.  It's time to modernize.

A Photography Plan costs only $10/month. 

https://www.adobe.com/creativecloud/photography.html

Or get Photoshop Elements 2020. No subscription needed.

https://www.adobe.com/products/photoshop-elements/whats-new.html

Nancy O'Shea, ACP
Alt-Web.com

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I disagree. I have various pieces of 15+ year old software (e.g. embroidery digitising software, sewing pattern-making software) that were very expensive to buy and still work 100% fine. I thought I was buying a perpetual lience when I purchased Creative Suite and was still using it regularly for artwork. I don't want to start paying a monthly subscription for something I have already bought and paid for, and which suits my needs. It's a real shame the OS upgrade bumped out the activation code - it didn't for any of the other licenced software I have installed.  

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm sorry.  There is nothing anybody can do.  Even if you could re-install, CS3 was built to run on Vista and XP with SP2, not Windows 10 with latest updates.  There's no guarantee it would install much less run properly. 

Gimp is open source.

Paint Shop Pro is another option.

Nancy O'Shea, ACP
Alt-Web.com

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

CS3 worked perfectly for my needs. I am not an illustrator or a professional photographer. I do not want to pay $20.99/Month for a  product that I am going to use once every 3 months. Do you know of another antiquated version of Photoshop that I can open without paying an extortion fee? I find it rediculous that because something is old it is worthless. (And I know that on page 419 it tells me that Adobe can steal a poduct that I paid a lot of money for, simply because their name is on it). So by that resoning can Ford come and take my car away because their name is on the grill? I am not asking for ANY updates, I just want to be able to use something that I paid money for, no matter how long ago I paid for it. It isn't costing Adobe anything (Except for the fact that if we own the software, we wont be buying into their monthly Cloud service). This is nothing short of theft!  

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you know of another antiquated version of Photoshop that I can open without paying a fee?

Nope.  You missed the opportunity to upgrade your Creative Suite software.  Adobe stopped selling Creative Suite 6 in 2017.   

Nancy O'Shea, ACP
Alt-Web.com

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Nancy,

I too am in the same boat with not getting CS3 activated and purchased a subscription to CC2020 Photography Plan.   It's great and a nice upgrade for my brand new MacBook Pro.  My question concerns getting a version of CC Photoshop that will run on my back up second MacBook that can only run MacOS El Capitan.  My CC2020 license agreemend states I can run CC on two machines but not simultaneously which I am fine with.  

Is there a method or link that I can go to to get a compatible older version of CC for El Capitan?  Thanks!  -Jeff

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For El Capitan, you need Photoshop 2018.

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/system-requirements/earlier-versions.html#PhotoshopCC18xsystemrequ...

However,  2018 was removed from the CC Desktop App when 2020 came out.  But  I think you can still get a direct download link for it from Adobe Customer Care.

https://helpx.adobe.com/contact.html

Nancy O'Shea, ACP
Alt-Web.com

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks!  This worked perfectly!  Support linked the installer for cc2018 and it installed without a hitch.   Thanks again 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines