• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

[Locked] Please, Can't We Just Continue To Purchase Photoshop, not CC, Adobe?

Community Beginner ,
Feb 28, 2014 Feb 28, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please, could we just continue to purchase our programs, Adobe?

I cannot go along with the Creative Cloud only option.  Although Adobe is offering great "discounts" on the Creative Cloud versions, they will absolutely raise the price each year.  (That is clearly stated in their "Terms.")  Adobe's "special discount introductory offer" goes to the "current price" after the first year.  The $9.99 / month special offer becomes $19.99 or $29.99 after a year (or much more - it is completely at Adobe's discretion how high it goes).

I do not want or need the Cloud, Storage, or Collaborative "features" that are the hallmark of the CC releases.  I am pleased to wait for a year for new features.  (Updates for bug fixes should not be delayed, however.)

This is just like the cable and satellite TV companies, they surreptitiously raise the monthly price, until you are paying INSANE amounts.

Like Woody Allen said (my paraphrasing, sorry):

"If you put a frog into a pot of cold water and slowly bring it to a boil, he will just sit there and boil - because the discomfort change is so slow, he'll hardly notice it, until he is thoroughly cooked!"

Adobe wants us to be that frog.

And once we have all signed up and are comfortable in our plan, Adobe wants us to forget that we are (almost invisibly to us) paying each month - while the price goes up and up each year.

I just read about a student who signed up last year for the "introductory" CC pricing for students, and now his price is going up to $29.99 per month, after just one year.  And where does it stop? Do you think it stops at $29.99?

(Quick math solution: $29.99 X 12 = $359.88 PER YEAR, EVERY YEAR!  And this is not capped, so the upward monthly price is unlimited!)

Although I love the products, I don't want to pay another gouging cable or satellite company!

Thanks for listening.

And Adobe, could you please, please continue to offer our "old-style" purchasing of new versions of Photoshop?

I will not join the 'Cloud.'

Please join Me.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Sep 01, 2017 Sep 01, 2017

As of January 2017, Adobe officially stopped selling Creative Suite software. 

If you want Photoshop, you have to subscribe to a Creative Cloud Plan.

The Photography Plan ( PS + Lightroom bundle) is currently USD $9.99/month (paid monthly for 1 year).

Other plan options are also available.

Creative Cloud pricing and membership plans | Adobe Creative Cloud

Nancy

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That ship has sailed.  We are just users here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can still buy a perpetually licensed copy of Photoshop CS6 even now, but then that's it.

I'm staying at CS6 myself.

As Curt Y says, you're preacjing to the choir here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 04, 2014 Mar 04, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have CS6 - as I said, I have been a loyal purchaser of Photoshop since the first.

But we need to let Adobe know that we DO NOT WANT THIS (and tell them that we will never be OK with this), and that we see through their ploy.

They are packaging "extra" add-ons and giving us a "great deal."  One which we cannot pass up.

We see through their camouflage, and we know this is being done just to allow "no limitations" in their future pricing - because price increases will almost appear invisible to us.  They will be slipped in to our monthly payments after the introductory "special" period.

This is a horrible thing for Adobe to do to all of us.

Even if you / we all join The Cloud - we should go kicking and screaming!

This is the end of having any say in what Adobe sets in terms of pricing!!

Up until now, we could look at their price, or their "upgrade special offer" and decide whether to continue or upgrade.

If we don't upgrade (or skip one), we can use the program we purchased, and its older features.

Now, we "buy in" and they manipulate the price we pay at will, invisibly.

Even if we all go along with this, they should be aware that _we know_ what they are doing to us.

Yes, we have the option to either "go along" or "drop out." 

But this is not adequate.  WE are the ones who have made Adobe this rich and powerful.

Sadly, we have helped to make Adobe so powerful that they now control us, and can demand whatever price (or terms) they want.

Like many in that eschelon, they have completely lost touch with their customers / users.  All their users are not wealthy corporations nor even businesses with myriad workers.

Adobe they should know that, in doing this, they have stated clearly to us all:

Adobe is now a horrible company, a company, blind to what their customers want, need, or can afford. 

They are showing that they do not care in the least.  "The New Way is better," they tell us.

Once you join, you can only use their software for a limited time, once you learn that you can't afford (or justify) their prices. 

When you finally can't afford the stratospheric price they set any longer, then throw away all of your work a few months later, when your app stops working - permanently.

Thanks, Adobe!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This has been rehashed over and over.  Adobe has made a final decision, and that's that.  They don't care what we think.

I was just now thinking that I´ve been using Photoshop intensively for some 11 years or so.

Even if the price of the subscription were to remain static—a totally unrealistic assumption—the next eleven years would cost me some $4,000 dollars. 

No way, and I'm not even incline to say thanks.

I'm staying with CS6 and I'm perfectly OK with it,

End of story.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately, no one in power will hear you, or see your post.

Some users see an advantage with the CC model, while others do not. I am in the "do not" camp, but then I have retired, after making a good living with Adobe software for two decades.

As Station_Two states, Adobe has made up their minds, and it's CS6, or the CC model. No options.

Many long-time users have voiced your opinion in many different venues, but those voices have not counted, and likely never will. An unnamed CFO has spoken.

Sorry,

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Oct 13, 2015 Oct 13, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow, I am way behind. I left off at photoshop 5.0 over 17 years ago and now I find I can even purchase my own copy. Sigh. This is precisely why I don't like big corporations, marketing and sales.  I feel they are very manipulative. Yes, money, money, money.  That is all people care about! Oh my gosh! This is why I shall forever be a starving artist with my dignity intact. I find this very annoying.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well the good news is the $10 monthly Photography Plan is now permanently fixed. That's better than having to put down $600 for a copy of CS6.

You would have to own CS6 for five years to match that, but the Photography Plan pushes in new updates while CS6 is suspended in time.

Gene

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I guess maybe for the professional.  But at one point I did own 5.0.  I'm just a home user who wants to make a book. Oy Vey. Okay off to my next project...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 14, 2015 Oct 14, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

estherb77376956 wrote:

I guess maybe for the professional.  But at one point I did own 5.0.  I'm just a home user who wants to make a book. Oy Vey. Okay off to my next project...

Enthusiast chiming in here. 

You never owned any software; you just had a copy and a license to use that software. (This is the same deal with any physical copy of software. You just get to use it until it doesn't work anymore.)

I wasn't a big fan of the sub model until it had a pretty good price point. The CC Photography Plan was that price point. I do feel for those who want to use other apps like Illustrator, though (which has no plan like the CC Photography Plan) but since Thomas Knoll didn't create that app...well...maybe Adobe will feel charitable enough in the future. Lord knows Adobe made a megaton of money with the CC Photo Plan alone.

Still, $50/month for the whole kit and kaboodle might be worth it for those that like to work with media across-the-board, plus even if you're an enthusiast/hobbyist, you gain a skill set you can use in the professional arena. People pay way more than that a month just to watch reality shows on cable (which, IMHO, is ridiculous, but to each his own).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Oct 15, 2015 Oct 15, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your input. I just don't like tying up my credit card with monthy service fees. It seems like that is the business model...auto ship...contracts...etc.  If I could I would throw my phone away...but people insist on getting a hold of me. Lol.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 16, 2015 Oct 16, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

estherb77376956 wrote:

Thanks for your input. I just don't like tying up my credit card with monthy service fees. It seems like that is the business model...auto ship...contracts...etc.  If I could I would throw my phone away...but people insist on getting a hold of me. Lol.

To be honest, I'm not too big on subscriptions but the CC Photo Plan isn't too hard to swallow.

You don't have to throw your phone away per se; there are the pre-paid cellular phone services like TracFone. (Also, don't forget places like Best Buy sell the pre-paid Creative Cloud cards. Yay, choices!) Don't understand how anyone could pay through the nose for cell phone service but, then again, I don't live on the phone like some people do. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 16, 2015 Oct 16, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yep, like Warunicorn‌ mentioned, you can purchase a one year subscription paid in advance, or get a prepaid card from an authorized dealer. I managed to opt out of entering my credit card when I entered the code, so nothing further happens automatically.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're just a bit late.  That conversation has come and gone.

The subscription model is a confirmed business success.

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 05, 2014 Mar 05, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just did an interesting calculation.

For a full master collection over a 3-year cycle (one full + one upgrade), the monthly price would be (the Norwegian equivalent of) $149.

Over a 6-year cycle (one full + three upgrades), the monthly price would drop to $98.

A full cloud subscription here is $79 a month (incidentally I'm paying $45 first year as previous customer).

I'm sure the ratio is similar for stand-alone Photoshop. So where exactly are we being ripped off?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LIkewise, buying upgrades every 18 months or so (as has traditionally been necessary to ride the cutting edge) at $199 (for Photoshop Standard, not Extended) isn't terribly different than the $9.99 / month deal, which also includes what was Extended functionality along with Lightroom thrown in.

And if you're crying about how sure you are that Adobe will raise prices, what makes you think they wouldn't have raised the upgrade prices in the future if they'd kept the old model?  The price of everything goes up.

And lastly, if it makes you feel any better, there's literally no such thing as a version that will actually run in perpetuity, practically speaking.  What, you say?  Let's see you run Photoshop CS today, assuming you have a computer running an OS that will allow you to even try.  You have NO IDEA what the OS Microsoft or Apple is going to release next will or won't allow.  But if you have a subscription you can be pretty sure Adobe will work to support it.

Life changes - nimble people adapt.  It's about business, not catering to someone's OCD.  Their software has value, your money has value.  Neither of you is being forced into a contract with the other.

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What people should bear in mind is that the $9.99 per month offer won't be available for ever — despite Adobe continually extending the cut-off date at the moment — and in a few years’ time, those people who stayed with CS6 are going to be in much the same position as people running CS now.  That won’t make CS6 any less powerful, but you are going to be disadvantaged compared to people using whatever Photoshop has evolved into by then.

I’m currently working through a full day’s worth of shots from a festival I covered on Saturday working in Marlborough’s bright sunshine, and I am able to very quickly turn out results noticeably better than I could have managed with CS5.  That keeps me in work, and maybe I’ll be able to provide even better image quality in a few years’ time.

Actually, I’m going to give myself a reality check, because people will probably be getting similar results from their mobile phones by then.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Noel Carboni wrote:

LIkewise, buying upgrades every 18 months or so (as has traditionally been necessary to ride the cutting edge) at $199 (for Photoshop Standard, not Extended) isn't terribly different than the $9.99 / month deal…

Horse puckey!  The $9.99 deal is for the first ten months only.

Also, never did I upgrade after each new release.  From 1993 through 2013, I went from Photoshop 5, skipped 6 and upgraded to Photoshop 7. then CS2, CS3, CS4, then the upgrade to CS6 was free when I bought the CS5 upgrade at the end of its cycle.  So four paid upgrades in all.  The upgrades began more at around $100 to $140 then.

Subscribing to the Cash Cow for Photoshop alone would set me back at the very least by about $4,000—as I typed above—and that assumes that the subscription price remains constant, which is absurdly unrealistic.

I don't need no stinking cutting edge performance every month, not even every year.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't imagine why, if you were going to upgrade through all those versions anyway, you'd wait until the end of the cycle.  Hate to say it, but as a "reluctant upgrader" you're not the kind of customer Adobe is looking for.

Whether it will remain at roughly $9.99/month for a long time I can't say - no one can, though some of the Adobe Marketing folks have gone so far as to say that's their intent.  Whether they'll get overridden by greedy bosses with pointy hair...  We just can't say!

But let's not forget that the subscription model has been around how long now?  2 years?  And here we have, today, a $9.99/month deal.  Has it jumped up in price for anyone yet?

If anything, lower-cost options have surfaced SINCE the subscription model was founded.  There's still a balancing of value that's happening.

Oh, and one more thing:  It's simply not valid to pull guesses about what's going to happen in the future out of your ass, then say "See?  SEE WHAT THEY'RE DOING?" 

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Noel Carboni wrote:

…if you were going to upgrade through all those versions anyway, you'd wait until the end of the cycle.  Hate to say it, but as a "reluctant upgrader" you're not the kind of customer Adobe is looking for…

Nor is Adobe the kind of supplier I'm looking for.  That's why I am no longer considered a customer by Adobe itself, because I no loger buy Adobe products. 

What I cannort understand is how you, Noel, as an entrepreneur, have not shown the contract Adobe requires you to accept in order to let you buy a subscription to a competent contract lawyer.  It's the most one-sided, predatory, leonine contract I have ever seen in my entire, long life.

EDIT:  As a matter of fact, even if I were inclined to subscribe, the terms of that contract would absolutely prevent me from agreeing to it.

Message was edited by: station_two

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

station_two wrote:

EDIT:  As a matter of fact, even if I were inclined to subscribe, the terms of that contract would absolutely prevent me from agreeing to it.

Heh, don't take it too seriously.  At the end of the day it's really only a license to use software and the expenditure of a few bucks.  Near as I can tell it doesn't grant Adobe rights to my own work.

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

…"expenditure of a few bucks", huh?   Wait until you or a loved one are old, disabled and with no ability to earn supplemental income beyond a meager pension, Social Security and your life savings. 

You'll understand then why even the expenditure of a single buck or penny matters.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No matter how old we get, we should never forget the valuable lesson in this:

http://openparachute.files.wordpress.com/2012/02/what-me-worry-2.jpg

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

station_two wrote:

I don't need no stinking cutting edge performance every month, not even every year.

Well, I do. Photoshop for ACR, but even more so InDesign and Illustrator, which aren't back-version compatible (and never have been). I get files from others I have to work with. Not upgrading hasn't been an option for a long time. Maybe not the first week, but eventually.

And just to repeat it: sooner or later any "perpetual" version would stop working because of OS/hardware developments.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Uh oh, he's turning red.

Look, no one's twisting anyone's arm.  If the value proposition is right, enter into the business deal.  If not, don't!  Simple as that.

• There are those who will keep paying for newer and better computers and newer and better software, because they don't want to be left behind by the state of the art.

• And there are those who will want to keep an older computer and keep using older software.  They WILL be left behind by the state of the art.

The decision about whether to buy into Adobe's subscription plan may well be different for these different people.  There's nothing wrong with that!

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines