• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Looking for a Seamless Pattern Making Tool

Mentor ,
Aug 08, 2020 Aug 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there any way (including third party extensions) to create seamless patterns in Photoshop, in which you set your tile size, and then Photoshop automatically wraps brush strokes that extend off the tile to the opposite side in real time? I'm not interested in actions that take what you've already painted and make copies for you. I'm using version 20.0.9.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Mentor , Aug 14, 2020 Aug 14, 2020

I would just switch to a tool that supports a wrap-around painting mode. Krita is free, open source, and a pretty darn powerful painting app. Supports PSD files. Turn on Wrap Around in the View menu, and paint away.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Aug 08, 2020 Aug 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you open to doing this with Illustrator or do you want/need to do this in Photoshop? The pattern making capabilities within Illustrator are pretty awesome. Not trying to be difficult 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Aug 13, 2020 Aug 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I started out using Illustrator's pattern tools, but the constant hairline seams are killing me. Even when the tile size is exactly to the pixel, there are seams sometimes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 10, 2020 Nov 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Kris!

The hairline Thing"   Like a white shadow arround your " seemingly" (no punn)  Perfect Pattern?

I ask because  "procreate"  a application I use and really Love=but It renders my stuff Raster (I had not realized this) nor did I know any thing about Raster vs Vector!  So I made a design=Loaded into my account at Spoonflower + purchased a Yard of fabric +   a Small- white hazy Line -Was printed between /if it had been YARDAGE- MULTIPAL YARDS  it would have been between each yard!   

So if your saying   this is outcome   for Adobe's   attempts  WHO THEN SHALL SAVE US!

peace,

Bama.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 09, 2020 Aug 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why the old Photoshop version? Not that it has any bearing on the issue at hand. 

Aside from Actions using multiple Smart Object instances (either offset manually or with the Filter Offset applied) would provide another work-around. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Updating the Adobe apps means updating third party extensions, which now require a subscription. It also means updating macOS, which means legacy apps either won't work, or will require a subscription.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In Photoshop, there's 3D > New Tiled Painting from Layer. You need to start with an image that is 3× your desired final, as it divides the image into a 3×3 grid. You need to paint slowly, or you'll get horrible seams. Note that the brush stroke will be one-third the size of the brush cursor.

Sometimes, I can get it to work the way I want. Most times, I throw up my hands, and go on to something else. You may have better luck than I.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Aug 14, 2020 Aug 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would just switch to a tool that supports a wrap-around painting mode. Krita is free, open source, and a pretty darn powerful painting app. Supports PSD files. Turn on Wrap Around in the View menu, and paint away.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines